The Doctor dances- final part

Jack opens the hatch of the med-ship. 

Jack: It's empty. Look at it. 

Rose and Nancy join them. 

The Warden: What do you expect in a Chula medical transporter? Bandages? Cough drops? Rose? 

Rose: I dunno. 

The Doctor: Yes, you do. 

He mimes summoning the nanogenes. 

Rose: Nanogenes! 

The Doctor: It wasn't empty, Captain. There was enough nanogenes in there to rebuild a species. 

Jack: Oh, God. 

The Doctor: Getting it now, are we? When the ship crashes, the nanogenes escape. Billions upon billions of them, ready to fix all the cuts and bruises in the whole world. But what they find first is a dead child, probably killed earlier that night and wearing a gasmask. 

Rose: And they brought him back to life? They can do that? 

The Doctor: What's life? Life's easy. A quirk of matter. Nature's way of keeping meat fresh. Nothing to a nanogene. One problem, though, these nanogenes, they're not like the ones on your ship. This lot have never seen a human being before. Don't know what a human being's supposed to look like. 

Jack, Rose and Nancy are listening to them intently, processing this. 

The Doctor: All they've got to go on is one little body, and there's not a lot left. But they carry right on. They do what they're programmed to do, they patch it up. Can't tell what's gasmask and what's skull, but they do their best. Then off they fly - off they go, work to be done. 'Cos you see now they think they know what people should look like and it's time to fix all the rest. And they won't ever stop. They won't ever, ever stop. The entire Human Race is gonna be torn down and rebuilt in the form of one terrified child looking for its mother, and nothing in the world can stop it! 

His voice has risen almost to a shout. Jack is abashed, shaken. 

Jack: I didn't know. 

The Doctor fixes him with a cold stare for a few seconds, and then goes back to examining the med-ship, starting work with his sonic screwdriver Nancy stares into the distance, beyond the fence. The gasmask people have arrived, still calling mummy. 

Nancy: Rose? 

Rose rushes to Nancy's side, following her gaze. The gasmask people stumble towards them over the rail-track. They are quite a distance away, but still too close. Rose rushes back to the med-ship, and looks again at the flashing red light on the control panel. 

Rose: It's bringing the gasmask people here, isn't it? 

The Doctor: The ship thinks it's under attack. It's calling up the troops. Standard protocol. 

Rose: But... the gasmask people aren't troops... 

The Warden: They are now. This is a battle-field ambulance. The nanogenes don't just fix you up, they get you ready for the front line. Equip you, programme you. 

Rose: That's why the Child's so strong. Why it could do that phoning thing. 

The Warden: It's a fully equipped Chula warrior, yes. All that weapons tech in the hands of a hysterical four year old, looking for his mummy. And now there's an army of them. 

The gasmask people surround the fence. The four of them look around nervously. 

Jack: Why don't they attack?