Five

01x01

The Pogues stood around as the paramedics brought Scooter Grubbs body out on a stretcher.

"Who's that?" John B asked as girl that was sitting near them.

"It's Scooter Grubbs. He was out during the storm. Check out this pic I got. Dead body." The girl showed them all a picture but Avery looked away. She knew what Scooter's wife was going through and it's not fun.

JJ noticed her distant expression and wrapped his arms around her waist, resting his chin on her shoulder.

"You okay?" he whispered. Avery turned her head to kiss his cheek.

"Yeah." she told him. He smiled and kissed her head.

"What kind of boat did he have?" he asked.

"Somehow, that dirt bag copped a brand-new Grady-White. Everyone's out looking for it."

They all shared a look before looking back at Scooter's body.

-------

They went back to the Chateau and were just hanging out on the porch. Avery had her legs draped over JJ's lap and he had his hand gripping her thigh tightly.

She'd be lying if she said her stomach wasn't exploding like a freaking zoo. She looked down at his hand and almost bit her lip while looking at his rings. She couldn't help but imagine what they would look like wrapped around her--

Her thoughts were interrupted as Pope ran up to the porch, panting. "Okay. So um-- we didn't see anything. We don't know anything. We need to have total and complete amnesia."

"Actually Pope's right for once." JJ tapped Avery's thigh and she lifted her legs for him to stand up. "See I agree with you sometimes."

"Deny, deny, deny." Avery said as she blew smoke out of her mouth.

"Guys, we can't keep the money." Kie told them.

"Okay. Not all of us can afford unlimited data plans, Kiara." JJ said. Avery pointed at him in agreement. Her aunt was working two jobs just to pay rent.

"We have to pass that off to Lana Grubbs. Otherwise, it's bad karma."

"Bad karma to be implicated in a felony, too." Pope added.

"Avery, what if your paren--"

"Kie!" JJ cut her off. Avery clenched her jaw while Kie looked down with an apologetic look on her face. They all looked at Avery with uneasy expressions.

"Wouldn't be my parents because we barely had any money." Avery clenched her hands into fists and already felt her nails digging into the skin. JJ noticed what she was doing and grabbed her hands, opening them up.

"We gotta go dark." Pope said.

"If that means we get to keep the money, then I agree." JJ shrugged as he ran his thumbs over the crescent shaped marks on Avery's palms.

"I don't agree." John B told him.

"Why?" Avery asked.

"Just think about it. This is Scooter Grubbs we're talking about." He spoke. "Same dude that's buying individual cigarettes at the Porthole. Shit, one time I saw this dude begging for change in the Save-A-Lot parking lot because he needed gas. We're talking about a dirtbag marina rat who's never had more than 40 bucks in his pocket, and all of a sudden, he's got a Grady-White? Just sayin'." John B put his hands up.

Avery sighed and leaned her head back while closing her eyes. The boys decided to go fishing so they all sat out on the dock with fishing poles.

"All right, so think about it, Pope." John B started. "How does a marina rat get a Grady-White?"

"Prostitution." Pope replied quickly. Avery burst out laughing but cleared her throat when John B gave her a look.

"Square groupers, bro." John B told him. "Okay, flying under the radar, no aerial surveillance. They don't do that stuff during a hurricane. What does that mean? JJ? AJ?"

"They were straight smugglin'." the two replied.

"Smuggling." John B threw his hands up. "And I guarantee there's a serious amount of contraband in that wreck."

"Hell yeah." Avery looked over at JJ. "Fish on!"

-------

They all went inside after a while and sat around John B's room. Avery went to sit on the bed when JJ grabbed her and pulled her down onto his lap. He wrapped his arms around her waist tight. She ran her nails up and down his arm.

"For the record, if that is a smuggling ship with illegal contraband on the inside of it, it probably belongs to someone else." Pope said.

"Minor details." Kie looked over at JJ and Avery who were in their own little world. Avery was leaned back into him with her head resting back on his shoulder. She had his hands in hers, messing with his rings and bracelets.

"They could come looking for it." Pope told her. "Taking it would be catastrophically stupid."

Avery reached out and snatched a stack of money from Pope.

"Right. Well, stupid things have good outcomes all the time." she shrugged as she held the money in her hands.

"All we need to do is figure out a way to get into the cargo hold of that wreck." JJ said. "Until then, we just lay low. Just act normal."

He pressed kissed on Avery's shoulder. She went to stand up but JJ gripped her hips.

"Don't stand up." he whispered in her ear.

"Why?" she asked. She suddenly felt a hardness against her bottom. She smirked and rolled her hips a little.

"Just don't." he shook his head and tightened his grip on her. She scoffed and leaned back into him.

"Right. And how exactly do we do that?" Pope asked JJ referring to what he said before.

Kie and Avery shared a look.

"Kegger?"

-------