Twenty-Eight

The four Pogues pulled up outside of their school

The four Pogues pulled up outside of their school. To say none of them liked school would be an understatement, they hate it. Avery was already high, JJ was already drinking, Kie was trying not to blow up on either of them, and Pope was the only one that was halfway happy to be there.

"Chill out." Kie told JJ who took a sip from his flask. "You too." she glanced at Avery who blew smoke out of her mouth.

JJ grinned and wrapped his arm around her shoulder. She wrapped hers around his waist and he kissed her head.

"Isn't that Avery Johnson?"

"Didn't her sister get killed by Routledge?"

"That's them."

JJ pulled Avery closer to him silently trying to get her to ignore the words of their fellow classmates. She clenched her jaw in frustration until they walked up to a memorial for John B.

"I feel like people are staring at us." Kie said, stating the obvious.

"No shit." Avery rolled her eyes. "What the fuck is this?" she snatched a bunch of pictures off of the memorial. "How'd they get pictures of Bailey?"

"Excuse me, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't ruin our memorial." one of the teachers approached her. Avery looked up at the woman and laughed humorlessly.

"A memorial? The fuck does my baby need a memorial here for?" Avery asked angrily. "As far as I'm concerned nobody knew her and nobody cared about her so unless it's at her preschool where she had friends, I don't want to see a single picture of her up on anything."

Avery shoved the pictures into her bag and went to walk off.

"Hey, hey, we gotta stick together." Kie told her as the other three followed after her.

"Stick together? You mean like you did?" Avery asked spitefully. Kie was stunned by what she was insinuating.

"Let's go baby." JJ wrapped his arm around her shoulder and led her into school with Pope and Kie behind them.

- - -

"If you wanna leave just text me all right?" JJ told Avery while they stood at her locker.

"I will." she pecked his lips and looked back in her locker. A picture of her, JJ, and Bailey was taped on the inside of it making her run her fingers over it. "I miss you baby." she whispered more to herself.

"Hi JJ." two girls walked up to him and stood on either of his sides. Avery looked at them in amusement as they twirled their hair flirtatiously.

She slammed her locker shut making them jump. She sniffed the air before scrunching her face up, "You smell that babe?" she sniffed again. "Ah, yes. The smell of skanks." JJ snorted and Avery put herself in front of him. She didn't even care that the two girls were slightly taller than her, Avery Johnson doesn't get intimidated. "Why don't you girls get out of here before I mess up those pretty little faces?"