Nine

01x01

"Look, I'm calling it off. All right?" John B told the pogues as they sat outside the Chateau. "Peterkin said, if I stay out of the marsh, she'll help me with DCS."

"And you believed her?" JJ asked.

"Yes, I believed her, JJ."

"An actual cop, John B. You believed a cop." JJ threw a rock out into the water. Avery looked over at John B with raised eyebrows.

"All I gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple days and she'll help me out." he defended. "It doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting a gun."

"You know what I should have done?" JJ tilted his head. "I should have just let Topper drown your ass."

"Topper was gonna drown me?"

"Sure looked like it." JJ stood up and walked up to the porch.

"Funny." John B commented.

"I mean, have you looked in a mirror recently?" JJ asked.

"Tell me some more. Come on."

"They always win, don't they man?" JJ leaned against a pillar right behind Avery and Bailey who was sitting on her sisters lap messing with a toy. "Kooks versus Pogues. They always win!" he punched something that was hanging from the roof.

"Look, it's okay." Kie tried to intervene.

"No, it's not okay." JJ said. "It is not. They don't want us to go down into the marsh. That means there's something valuable down there, and you know it." he pointed at John B. I know you do. And I understand why you don't wanna go." he motioned to Pope. "You're the golden boy. You got way to much to risk. And you--" he looked at Kie. "I mean, you're already rich as fuck anyway. Why would you bother?" he looked at Avery and she raised her eyebrows as if daring him to say something.

"What JJ?" she asked.

"You and your aunt are working three jobs put together just to pay your bills. And Bailey barely has any toys because of your money situation." he told her. Avery looked at Bailey who was playing with a stuffed animal.

It's true. Bailey doesn't have many toys but Avery always makes sure to use her spare money on her little sister. Whether it be getting her a new doll and stuffed animal or a candy bar down at the store, she always makes sure to have money to spend on Bailey even if it means there's not much left for herself.

"So us three, we got nothin' to loose." JJ said. "We really don't, all right?"

"JJ." John B sighed.

"And I know it didn't use to be that way for you."

"I don't want to talk about this." John b started walking off the porch. "I don't wanna talk about it."

"So that's it?" JJ asked.

"Just get out of my way bro."

"John B listen to me, I have a plan." JJ walked over to him. "You got the key to Cameron's big boat, right?"

"No, JJ." John B groaned.

"There's scuba gear inside there. We borrow that, and then we go down to the wreck this afternoon, and that is what's gonna save you, man." JJ explained his plan. "You don't see rich kids going into foster care, do you?"

Avery sighed when John B agreed to the plan. She looked at Bailey and bounced her legs a little making the little girl giggle.

"JJ's crazy." she whispered to her little sister. "I don't think he'd survive without us."