Thirty-Four

02x05
The Darkest Hour

When Avery woke up in the holding cell of the police station, her first instinct was to look for John B. When he wasn't there she began to grow worried for her best friend.

The door to the cell opened and in walked the same officer that kicked her in the stomach.

"Get up." the woman grabbed her by the arm and pulled her up to start dragging her through the station.

"I have legs." Avery tugged her arm out of Plumbs grip. The deputy pulled her to a room where she was sat in a chair.

"I'm sure you know why you're here." Shoupe spoke from the seat across from her.

"No I don't. Enlighten me." Avery said while rubbing her stomach from the pain.

"You were there when Peterkin died." Shoupe said.

"Okay?"

"Look, we're done playing games. Admit that John B murdered Peterkin and put your aunt in a coma."

"He didn't." she spat at him. "You're a shit cop for letting Ward pay you off, I'm not saying shit."

"You tell us something, or we will go take your little sister and you'll never see her again." Shoupe narrowed his eyes.

Avery smirked and leaned forward. "Or maybe, I tell the court that your officers beat a pregnant woman to the ground in front of her little sister and father of her child."

"Pregnant- there was no pregnant woman." Plumb scoffed. Avery gave them a scoff and rubbed her stomach.

"We knew." Shoupe spoke. Avery looked at him. "Why do you think they went for the stomach?"

"You could have killed my damn baby!" Avery stood up angrily to Plumb. "Over some vendetta that you know I had no part in."

"Avery-"

"I will raise hell on this station if you do not let me out right now." she spit out like venom towards both of them. "And I dare you to try and take my baby from me because let me tell you Shoupe..." she leaned her palms on his desk and leaned forward. "You do not want to find out what happens when someone tries to come between me and my family."

The two deputies looked at her in shock. Shoupe stood up and opened the door as Avery held her high and walked out. She was let into the front of the station where she saw JJ and their friends. Bailey laid asleep on his shoulder.

"Baby." JJ passed Bailey to Pope and ran to scoop his girlfriend up. She sighed in relief and cupped the back of his head. "Are you okay? Did they hurt you?" he pulled back to cup her face, glaring at the officers over her shoulder.

"They bruised my stomach a bit but I'm okay." she nodded cupping his cheek.

"Your stomach?" Sarah and Kie were up in an instant. "Are you okay? Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm okay." she gave them a distinct look.

"I can't believe they took you in." JJ brushed her hair out of her face, still looking over her to make sure she's okay. "They're just letting you go?"

"I may have threatened them after they threatened to take Bailey." she shrugged.

JJ laughed and pulled her into his chest. She hummed at the comfort and looked over at Bailey in Popes arms.

"Can I see her?" Avery asked holding her arms out. Pope nodded and walked to hand her the girl. She sighed as she held the girl in her arms. JJ wrapped an arm around Avery's waist and one around Baileys back.