Twenty-Two

The Pogues were driving to some 'storage' place to get the money for the gold. Avery had a bad feeling about it considering there was nothing but trees on the road they were on.

Suddenly police sirens were heard from behind them. They all turned their heads to see a cop car right behind them.

"What did we even do?" Sarah asked.

"I don't know." Avery bit the inside of her cheek.

"Hey, stash it." John B motioned to the gold. JJ wrapped it in a towel and shoved it under the seat.

"How much weed do you have on you?" Kie asked the boy. Avery was about to say something before she heard the sound of a gun cocking.

Her heart stopped when she saw a man aiming a shotgun at John B through the drivers side window. She pulled Bailey's head into her chest and JJ put his arm out in front of both of them.

"Why don't I go ahead and see them hands in the air?" the man asked. "All of y'alls hands up in the air right now!" he yelled and everyone but Avery raised their hands, hers being wrapped around Bailey protectively as the little girl let out a whimper.

"You, out of the car! Let's go!"

John B got out and then went around to open the back of the van. The four teens and Bailey got out of the van along with Sarah who was sitting up front.

"There you go pretty girl! Get out the car, let's go!" he yelled when Avery stepped outside.

As JJ got out he tried talking to the man but only got yelled at in return and the gun was shoved in his face.

"JJ." Avery whispered fearfully as she cradled Bailey.

"Lay down in the goddamn ditch!" the man screamed at them. "On your hands and knees put your face on the ground!"

They all followed his orders but Avery was too scared to let Bailey go. It wasn't the fear of the man hurting herself but rather the fear of him hurting her baby sister.

"The little girl too!"

"Please just--" Avery tried to say something but he put the gun to her temple.

"I said the little girl too, do you understand?" his voice was threatening. Before she could reply he grabbed her by the hair.

She let out a cry and looked up at him and that was when she came to the realization of who he was. She looked at him with fear in her eyes.

"Don't fucking touch her!" JJ sneered going to move towards the man but she put her hand out stopping him.

"Y-Yes." she nodded and let Bailey move beside her. He released her hair and she kept one arm around her little sister who had tears in her eyes.

"JJ?" the four year old cried.

"It's okay Princess. Just look at me okay?" he whispered softly. "You just hold Mr. Lion and keep looking at me okay?" he gave her a small smile. She nodded and wrapped both of her arms around her stuffed lion.

JJ slid his hand across the ground and Bailey didn't hesitate to grab onto it. Avery looked at JJ thankfully as Bailey calmed down.

The man walked out of the van making her squeeze her eyes shut and tighten her grip on the toy and JJ's hand. Avery rubbed her sisters back and glanced over at the 'cop car' that John B had managed to get into.

When the supposed robber went to get back in his car, John B jumped out and attacked him. The other pogues quickly jumped into action and started beating on him. JJ was first, dodging one of his hits and slamming his fist into the mans side.