four

iggy had started to calm down as there was a knock at the door. gina went to open it and then stood shocked for a second.

'what are you- how do you even know where i live? you came here like once for a party 15 years ago, but there's no way you remember that.'

'i was just coming to check if the kid was okay, she's been crying a lot.'

'you can hear all that? i can literally never hear you.'

'yeh i have- doesn't matter, is the kid okay?'

'yeh, she just banged her head before.'

'you want me to take a look? i didn't do paediatrics but i went to med school for a bit.'

why did she just ask that? she didn't like gina, she hated kids, gina's kid was gonna be a nightmare

'you went to med school?'

'yeh. do you want help with the kid or not?'

'can you just check of her head's okay, i don't wanna find out something's really wrong in like two days.'

'uh, sure,' the detective said as she stepped into the apartment. 'you mind if i take her for a sec? it will make it a lot easier.'

'yeh sure, she probably won't like it tho.' gina said as she handed her child to the other woman

iggy was ready to cry again until she noticed rosa's hair hanging down by her face. she grabbed it and rosa gave her a virtually unnoticeable smile, but gina noticed.

iggy was preoccupied playing with the raven curls to notice rosa examining the now very small bump on her head.

'yeh she should be fine, i just touched it and she didn't care so it was probably just the shock. if she throws up you should probably take to the ER but she should be okay.'

'thanks,' gina smiled as she took iggy off the detective. 'i'm gonna go put her to bed but do you wanna stay for a drink? as a thank you.'

'depends if you have alcohol.'

'i have beer?'

'dope,' rosa said as she sat down on the couch

—————

'you want another?'

'yeh alright,' rosa said as gina got up to get another bottle for them both

'your kid's kinda cute you know, considering i hate kids and i hate you she's not that bad.'

'thanks i guess,' gina handed the detective a beer before sitting back down next to her. 'she's called enigma, iggy for short.'

'dope,' rosa said before taking a sip of her drink

'why do you hate me so much?'

'honestly you're just annoying, like at dance when you had your stupid little popular group and you thought you were better than everyone.'

'damn, say it how it is.'

'i literally just did, i can keep going if you want?'

'no, i'm good.' gina said, but honestly whatever rosa said kinda made her smile. 'i know you didn't wanna talk about it but were you okay before?'

'yeh, just family stuff. i don't care, i hate them anyway.'

'mkay.'

'you wanna come to shaw's with the squad tomorrow? we usually all go on a friday after work, but jake and amy are going away this weekend so we changed to thursday.'

'jake said you were going today?'

'yeh, if they close a case they go too.'

'they? do you not go?'

'i barely go during the week, only on fridays really. i prefer being alone and drinking in silence while watching whatever crap's on tv or something's gotta give.'

'huh... fun?'

'very. so you coming?'

'if i can get a sitter.'

'what about iggy's dad?'

gina hesitated, 'he's an idiot.' she said with tears forming in her eyes

rosa saw gina was about to cry, 'shit, sorry.'

'it's fine, should be used to it by now.'

both women took another drink out of their bottles

'i should probably get going but if the kid needs anything i'm right next door.'

'yeh, thanks again for before,' gina smiled as rosa opened the door

'don't worry about it,' rosa nodded. 'see you tomorrow,' rosa said before leaving

—————

both women sat on the couch in their apartments thinking about what had just happened.

had rosa really just cared about a kid? not just any kid either, gina's kid. she didn't even know gina had a kid... and she still hated gina anyway.

gina had drinks with rosa? she wasn't mad about it either, she didn't hate rosa anymore. seeing her with iggy made gina smile, she didn't even know what was so bad about rosa which made her hate her in the first place.

rosa was not about to admit that she enjoyed her time with gina. sure the kid wasn't that bad but gina still was. the only thing she actually liked was the free alcohol.

gina, on the other hand, would admit that she enjoyed rosa's company. only to herself, she'd never tell anyone else that. nobody besides iggy even knew she was bi, and of course iggy didn't understand. she thought iggy understood in her own way tho, as soon as gina said the words iggy started laughing and clapping.

written: march 2021
published: march 2021