nine

an hour later, rosa turned up to gina's apartment. she knocked on the door and held up a bunch of red roses as gina opened it.

'hey,' gina smiled as she saw the flowers. 'why do you have flowers?'

'for you, stupi- i mean for you... to say sorry.'

'you didn't have to do that, i'm not mad,' gina backed away from the door so her girlfriend could walk in.

'do you want the flowers or not?' rosa stepped in. 'i got you other stuff too but i can take it back?'

'no. i want the flowers,' gina took them out of her hand as iggy ran in.

rosa picked the child up, the smile on her face growing bigger as she did so. 'hey sweetie,' rosa kissed the girl's head. 'i missed you today.'

'ro- roro?' iggy stuttered. both rosa and gina smiled at the girl as she said the word

'yeh princess, that's roro!'

'did you have a good day?' rosa sat the child on the kitchen countertop before she started to make herself some herbal tea. 'coffee, gi?'

she shook her head as iggy began to babble to rosa about her day; from what she understood, iggy had eaten something with cheese for lunch and gone to the park.

'wow, sounds like you had fun!' rosa lifted her down off the counter and she giggled, running towards her mom.

all three of them sat down on the couch, iggy on rosa's lap and gina cuddled up to her side.

—————

'you gonna be okay with ig for a bit while i go get the food?'

'yeh, course i will.' rosa smiled, 'we'll be fine, right ig?' she said as she bounced the child on her knee

the girl waved at her mother as best she knew how to and gina leaned down and kissed her head before kissing rosa's lips. 'love you both, be back soon.' gina exited the apartment leaving only the pair of them.

'what do you wanna do while we wait for mommy?'

'park?'

'we can't go to the park now ig, it's too dark. i'll take you tomorrow okay?'

'mommy?'

'yeh mommy will come too,' she smiled. 'now why don't we put a movie on while we wait?'

'MEEEMO!' iggy yelled

rosa laughed at the fact that iggy couldn't say the name of her favourite movie, 'yeh we can watch nemo.'

iggy giggled while she played with rosa's curly locks, waiting for rosa to put on her favourite film.

'hey ig, i love you and your mommy so so much you know. you're my favourite little kid and my second favourite person in the whole entire world,' iggy looked at her and smiled, like she understood what rosa was saying. 'obviously your mom's first, sorry kid. you think maybe she'd wanna marry me one day?'

iggy said something that rosa couldn't quite make out - not that she hadn't been babbling random words to rosa the whole time anyway - but rosa hoped that she'd just said yes

'i knew your mommy 14 years ago and she was perfect and now she's got you and she's somehow even more perfect,' rosa kissed the child's head. 'you probably have no idea what i'm saying, but one day when you're older i'll make sure you and your mom know how much i love you both.' rosa wrapped her arms around the child as the opening to the movie played, the disney castle appearing on the screen.

'MEEMO!' iggy turned around so the pair were both facing the tv.

—————

it was around half an hour later when there was a knock at the door.

'you think that's mommy?' rosa asked as the moves iggy from her lap and onto the couch. she got up to open the door, 'you took yo- amy?'

'hey... rosa?' amy began, slightly shocked. 'why- what are you doing here?'

'i could ask you the same thing.'

'look, uhh... it's gina.'

'what?' rosa's eyes widened as she imagined everything that could possible leave amy's mouth next. 'what happened? is she okay? is this one of those stupid pranks where she's actually alive but she wants to see how i'll react to her death?' rosa asked frantically

'rosa, you seem worried. you barely like gina.'

'i'm looking after our kid while she picks up takeout, yeh i care. now what.'

'your kid?'

'gina and i are dating.' rosa grumbled

'oh rosa- i'm sorry.'

'why? she's not dead.' rosa paused before shooting a look at amy, 'is she?'

'no, no. but i do thin-'

'if you're about to tell me to sit down, don't bother!' rosa's voice was growing louder

'okay okay, she got hit by a speeding motorcyclist.'

'what? is she gonna be okay?'

'the- they don't know. she might not make it through the next 48 hours, they said the next two days are crucial.'

'UGH!' rosa slammed her fist into the wall which shocked the toddler, making her cry

'hey iggy, it's okay,' amy walked over and was about to pick the child up

'amy i got it, you can go.' rosa walked to the couch and picked iggy up. 'it's okay sweetie, mommy's gonna be back real soon and i promise i won't scare you like that again.' she gently hugged the child as her crying slowed to a stop.

'are you sure you want me to go?'

'yes santiago. we will be fine.'

'o- okay. call me or the precinct if you need anything,' amy gave an apologetic smile before leaving the apartment.

'we'll be okay, right baby girl?'

iggy hugged the woman tight, not wanting to let go any time soon.