thirteen

the three of them had just gotten home when gina started with her next idea.

'i can't just quit work gi, plus i love what i do.'

'but we could dance again. me, you and ig. we could buy a dance studio and teach her and other kids, how cool would it be ro? plus you alwaysss wanted to be a dancer when you were younger.'

'i really wish you didn't know that.'

'because you wanna open a dance studio with me and you think i have a really good idea?' gina questioned

'gina, what about the g-hive?' rosa changed the subject, or tried to change it

'they'd love to see dance content. some of them even said they'd come to the studio or watch tutorials made by us.' she smiled. 'and you know iggy loves dancing, she'd dance in her crib before she could even walk.'

rosa's face softened, even if she did think gina's ideas were slightly flawed, gina was perfect in every single way. 'i love you so much.'

'enough to open a dance studio with me?' gina asked eagerly

'let me think about it for a few weeks, yeh?'

'okay,' gina faced the tv again, smiling internally because 'let me think about it' usually meant 'yes but i don't wanna seem eager' when rosa said it.

'i'm not gonna keep asking if you're feeling okay, just tell me if you need anything yeh?' rosa said as she started making lunch.

gina nodded, 'can you make paella tonight, the good one that only you make.'

'i knew that was coming,' the detective smiled, although her girlfriend couldn't see.

—————

gina and iggy were asleep on the couch, with Dora the Explorer playing in the background because gina thought it would help iggy learn spanish. the almost two year old always seamed mesmerised when she heard rosa speaking it, but was never as interested in the girl and her monkey on the tv.

rosa thought it was cute that gina tried, she loved that gina wanted iggy to learn spanish.

the detective was busy making the paella she'd promised gina whilst listening to Dora every so often, then spacing out and thinking about gina and iggy, her everything. she thought about how lucky she was that iggy loved her just as much as she loved gina, how perfect their little family was, how amazing it would be for her and gina to be able to teach iggy to dance- no, not that. she loved her job already, how do you even set up a dance school and rosa hated kids anyway.

'shit!' rosa yelled, causing iggy to start crying and therefore causing gina to wake up. rosa had cut herself when she was lost in thought and there was now blood dripping everywhere. she ran her hand under cold water until she could see where the blood was actually coming from, by which point iggy had stopped crying and gina was making her way over to rosa.

'woah what the hell happened?' the redhead asked as she started to wipe up the blood

'nothing, i just cut myself. make sure ig doesn't see any blood or else she won't stop crying.'

'you okay babe?'

'yeh, it's nothing don't worry.' the latina told her girlfriend as she grabbed a plaster from
the drawer. 'hey, i love you you know.'

'yeh babe, i know... you sure you're okay?'

'mhm,' rosa told her as she put the plaster around her finger. 'i'm good.' she smiled

'how did you even do it? it looks pretty bad.'

'i was just thinking about stuff and then i cut my finger, i'm fine tho.'

—————

the three of them were watching finding nemo on the couch after they'd eaten. weirdly, gina had missed the movie; even tho she'd seen it millions of times because of iggy and she could quote most of the movie, she'd missed watching it with her daughter and girlfriend.

'what were you thinking about before?' gina asked the little fish made his way to school

'what, when i cut myself?' the detective faced her other woman and watched her nod. 'not
much, just you and ig.'

'and about dancing with me and ig maybe?'

'i thought about it a bit...'

'and?'

'then i cut myself so i was kinda thinking about iggy and the blood mainly.'

'that's not what i meant, you know that's not what i meant.'

'you should probably tell the g-hive you're not in hospital or something, they probably missed you.' rosa quickly changed the subject

—————

'are you really not gonna talk to me? it's been 30 minutes and you haven't said anything.'

'rosie, i don't wanna go back to work. yeh it's a good job, but i don't wanna go back.'

'just for a bit? let me think about the dance thing. come on gi, it's not like you don't just sit there and watch me work all day.'

'ugh fine. i will work there for two months max, then i'm leaving.'

the detective rolled over onto her side and kissed gina, 'thank you, i love you.' she smiled

'i love you too baby girl, so so much.' gina tucked herself into rosa's side and smiled. 'god, i can't believe i didn't talk for 30 whole minutes.'

'you lasted longer than you did that time at work when there was a $75 prize,' the younger of the two laughed.

'that was the worst 17 minutes 36 seconds of my life.'

'you're cute.'

'i know,' the redhead smiled. 'i missed you.'

'i missed this so much, never get hit by a motorcycle again.'

'wasn't planning to be.'

'good,' the detective kissed her girlfriend's forehead. 'night gi, wake me up if you need anything.'

'night babe, love you.'

'love you too.'

written: july 2021
published: july 2021