eleven

rosa had been sat on the corridor floor, right outside gina's room, for about 30 minutes, watching doctors pace up and down the hall.

she looked down at her phone to see all the notifications she'd chosen to ignore earlier. she still wanted to ignore them but figured she should at least tell amy what had happened.

10.24 am
amy: is everything okay with gina?

11.38 am
rosa: idk hopefully, you okay to look after iggy for the rest of the day?
amy: of course, let me know if you need anything
amy: i'm here for you and so is everyone at the precinct
rosa: thanks

'miss diaz?' rosa looked up. 'she's stable again. we ran some tests and we don't think it's anything too serious, just her body responding to everything all at once, the intense pain wouldn't have helped that either. of course she has some injuries from when she got hit b-'

'can i see her?' rosa interrupted

'of course,' the doctor told her before she lept up and burst into the room without any hesitation.

'i love you gi.' rosa grabbed her hand and sat on the chair as she had done earlier that day. 'i love you so much and i know i've said it a lot, but i need you to know how much i love you.' rosa looked down at her girlfriend: eyes closed, breathing tube, bruises, drips going into her arm, and there was probably more that rosa couldn't see right now. 'apparently this isn't too serious and you got off pretty lucky, considering you got hit by a motorcycle.' rosa paused as if she was gonna get a reply from the woman, 'please wake up gi. i need you.'

rosa sat holding her hand for what felt like hours; she didn't know if it was because she'd been in the exact same position already today or if time was going slower because of how desperate she was for gina to wake up.

the auburn haired woman squeezed the latina's hand but barely moved. 'love you,' she mumbled under her breath, smiling slightly

'how you feeling?'

'i heard all that, i heard it both times.' gina mumbled

rosa smiled. she was kind of glad that gina had heard it, she couldn't really emotion to people's face but she was happy gina knew how much she loved her.

'i love you so so much baby girl, i'm sorry.'

'don't apologise, i just want you to be okay.'

'i am okay, you're here... but can you go get ig?' gina asked hesitantly. if rosa didn't want iggy to go to hospital and see her gina wouldn't mind. rosa's opinion mattered just as much as her own.

'you sure? i just figured you wouldn't want her to be in a hospital, especially not if you have a load of tubes coming out of you.'

'yeh, maybe... can you bring her to pick me up when we go home? do you know when i can leave yet?'

'of course i'll bring her, i'll bring her when you don't have as many tubes and wires around you. i asked the doctor and he said it's too early to tell, but i'm gonna be here at least a little while everyday.'

'you don't have to do that babe, i want you to be with iggy.'

'i will be, i'll figure it out.'

gina squeezed rosa's hand as tight as she could, which wasn't very tight but rosa knew what she was trying to do.

—————

rosa stayed with gina for a few hours, she didn't want to leave but she knew her girlfriend was tired and that iggy would wanna see her. she picked up some shopping before she made her way home to find amy and iggy at the table eating chocolate cake.

'ROROOO!' the child yelled, spitting out crumbs of chocolate cake in the process. she ran over to the woman and hugged her, probably getting chocolate cake in rosa's hair.

'hey princess,' rosa kissed the girl's cheek as she picked her up. 'did you just get chocolate cake in my hair?'

iggy laughed and pointed to the rest of the cake on the table, 'mommy?'

'mommy's gonna be home soon, i promise.'

'she's been pointing at the cake and talking about gina all day,' amy told rosa. 'does gina like chocolate cake?'

rosa smiled, thinking about why iggy could be pointing at the cake, 'one time when we had chocolate cake, gina put a bit on iggy's nose and then she did it to me and then it carried on, there was cake everywhere after that but ig had fun.' rosa kissed the girl's cheek again.

'aww cute.' amy smiled, 'i should probably go bu-'

'if you tell anyone anything you know about me and gina and iggy i will not hesitate to break your neck.' rosa glared at amy before returning her face to a smile, 'right princess?'

'YEH!' iggy yelled, laughing

'see.'

'i got it, no telling anyone,' amy said with a worried expression. 'if you need me to look after iggy again i can do that, and if you need anything let me know,' amy smiled slightly, still scared by rosa's threat.

'thanks amy.'

—————

after the third attempt at getting her to go to sleep, rosa had finally gotten iggy in bed around ten minutes ago and was watching 'something's gotta give' when she heard iggy crying. she wanted to be mad but she couldn't be, she never seemed to get annoyed with the child.

'what's the matter baby girl?' rosa asked as she walked into the room and sat on iggy's bed. the raven haired woman sat the girl down on her knee as her tears stopped. 'i know you miss mommy but she'll be home real soon, maybe we can go see her tomorrow if she's okay.' rosa gave the child a small smile

iggy put her head into rosa's chest and wrapped her arms around the detective. neither of them moved for a few minutes until rosa decided she'd lie down so that iggy would get to sleep. she rubbed the girl's back as they both drifted off to sleep, iggy still clinging onto her.

written: may 2021
published: june 2021

a/n: okay so it's been a while, i kinda just forgot how to write and i didn't realise i'd left it on a kinda cliffhanger. i hope you like this part now that it's finally up :)