five

rosa and charles had been out on a case all day which they'd finally solved after three weeks.

'well done guys,' jake said as the two of them walked into the precinct. 'a murder case in three weeks with almost no evidence is pretty impressive.'

'oh it was actually a serial killer, turned out she'd killed two others too.' rosa said smirking

'so, shaw's tonight?' jake asked

'i guess i can do one drink.'

'what? it's not like you have plans.'

'you don't know that, but whether i did or didn't have plans i wouldn't tell you what they were.' rosa returned to her deadpan tone as she sat down at her desk

'gina? you coming today?'

'yeh i can stay for a couple drinks, i gotta get home to put iggy to bed tho.'

'ohhh can i meet her?' jake asked enthusiastically

'yeh because i'm gonna bring her to a bar.'

'no i meant can i come to your apartment, maybe meet your boyfriend too?'

rosa looked up when jake said boyfriend. she'd asked about iggy's dad but that didn't mean gina didn't have a boyfriend. but at the same time, there hadn't been any men's clothes around, no men's jackets on the coat rack and based on the way gina had spoken about iggy's dad and the age that iggy was, rosa guessed that gina wasn't a fan of most men and probably wasn't looking for a relationship. rosa guessed gina didn't have a boyfriend, but that was only because she didn't want gina to have one.

'no,' gina told him. 'iggy will need to get to sleep anyway and she won't do that if she meets new people. she'll either get scared or excited and i can't deal with that after last night.'

'what happened last night?' amy asked

'she banged her head and didn't stop crying, she's fine now.'

'did you take her to the ER?' jake sounded concerned

'my neighbour's basically a doctor, she said ig should be fine.' gina looked at rosa and caught her smiling slightly, but the detective's face returned to normal quick enough for her to think that nobody had seen her smile in the first place.

'boyle, you okay to finish the paperwork? i gotta go to my place real quick. i'll meet you all at shaw's.'

'yeh, i can take care of it.' the man smiled at the latina as she got up from her desk and left the bullpen

'thanks,' she said as the elevator doors closed

nobody spoke for a couple of seconds until they could guarantee rosa couldn't hear them.

'what's going on with rosa today?' jake asked, visibly confused, 'she seems almost... happy.'

'maybe it's because we closed the case?' boyle suggested

'she's got a date,' amy chimed in. 'she won't tell us if she has plans, she needs to leave shaw's early and she just went back to her apartment, probably to get changed so she can go straight from the bar to her date.'

'a date! rosa? rosa's got a date!' charles yelled across the precinct

gina's face dropped at the realisation. obviously there was no way rosa felt the same about her anyway, but it still kinda sucked that now there was absolutely no chance.

—————

rosa arrived at her apartment and changed her jacket for no real reason. well... she was going to see her dad after shaw's and he seemed to like her maroon jacket the most, so she wore that. then she texted her dad that she was gonna have to meet him a bit later before she finally left her apartment and headed to shaw's.

she arrived at the bar to find most of the squad already there, it was just charles and jake that were missing because charles was finishing paperwork.

'hey,' rosa said as she sat at the bar. 'the usual, hank.' she told the bartender

'you... changed your jacket?' amy questioned

'wow amy, you're a great detective.' rosa joked, causing gina to laugh

'yeh my girlfriend is a pretty amazing detective,' jake said as he walked up to the group with charles following behind him. 'she's also not wrong. you changed your jacket.'

'wow, you noticed. good for you.'

'rosa's got a date!' charles blurted out

'what did you just say.' rosa said in a threatening tone as she got closer to the man

'you've... got a date?' charles repeated

'which one of you figured that out?'

'amy, it's was amy. all amy's fault.' jake told her, not wanting to get beat up

'well then she's not as good at her job as you think she is.' rosa told them, 'plus, even if i did have a date, which i don't. i wouldn't tell any of you... so maybe i do have a date, i guess you'll never know.'

gina felt pinning her up against the walls and questioning rosa herself. she didn't want rosa to have a date because... she wanted to have a date with rosa.

written: march 2021
published: april 2021