||Xiao: Being Short Means Nothing to an Adepti

Not angst i promise.

Requested by @murderismything but i can't find them anymore

➷being short means nothing to an adepti➷

If xiao was ever asked by anyone, what one thing did he regret the most, it would be a quick answer; living with y/n.

He didn't hate her for no reason though.

If only it wasn't y/n who had found him hurt on the side of a deserted road, maybe he'd be living with no one or someone else entirely.

The girl who had helped him was just kicked out from her house. Her family no longer wanting to support her mischief eventually got tired of her themselves.

While traveling to the inn for shelter, she had thought, 'why not take a longer path there?' which eventually led her to meet xiao.

The adepti at the time was resting on the side of the road. That particular area was long abandoned, thus he thought no one would pass by.

Until someone did.

Y/n who saw Xiao all bruised up with blood dripping all over initially wanted to turn around and pretend she never daw the man, but decided to help out anyway.

"Don't come any closer." The mans voice was soft, but held a warning tone in it. It sounded distant, which made y/n feel more bad for him than before.

"But you're hurt." For a moment y/n thought she was trying to tame a cat rather than help a grown man.

"This is nothing. Leave this instant."

Even with the hint of growl at the end, it didn't stop y/n from Stubbornly stomping closer.

"Stay still." She ordered. Unfortunately for Xiao, he had been leaning against a fallen wall and was now trapped by the girl.

Maybe moved by the random kindness she had shown, albeit a little funny, he didn't try to teleport away back to the inn.

To show gratitude for her help, though he had to admit was useless, he offered her a place to stay After hearing y/n's story while she bandaged him up. He rarely ever use that room in the inn anyway.

As he got up, he had a sudden realization, and so did y/n.

Xiao's height barely reached y/n's shoulders.

She was very much indeed a giant in Xiao's standard. When in fact, she was just a bit taller than average.

Y/n snorted but held back the rest of her laugh. "You're- so tiny."

That was probably the moment he started regretting every choice he made leading up to that point.

Although Xiao had said he rarely ever use the room that was given to him by the owner, he found himself returning more often ever since y/n appeared.

He told himself it was because he doesn't trust her and was afraid she'd set up a prank on one of the customers. He told himself he frequently checks up on her to keep her in line, not because he was worried. Otherwise, why would he tolerate y/n, especially when she raises her hand up to where ke can't reach and says "xiao, give a high five!"

It annoyed him to bits, but all he ever usually responds with was a blank stare and crossed his arms until she tires herself out.

Y/n didn't know where xiao would usually disappear off to. All she knew was that he'd be back everyday at the same time; mornings to bring her breakfast, noon to check up on her for any injuries (since she usually is out during the afternoon to do comissions), and at night to bring her dinner and makes sure she's not having and nightmares in her sleep.

Yes, he'd never admit to any of these, but y/n was mischievous, not stupid. Anyone could see he was trying his best to make the girl comfortable. He was doing more than he's supposed to, and that made y/n sort of the opposite.

To ease things up, y/n kept pestering him about his height, telling him to 'up top' but always ends up receiving a blank stare and crossed arms. He really is like a cat, staring and looking unamused.

Y/n secretly called him xiao mao in her head. (Pun intended)

Around noon, y/n opened the door to their shared room, sighing the tiredness away. Such thing was unusual for the overly energetic girl.

Xiao who was already waiting inside rushed to meet her immediately.

"You're home later than usual." He hid the worry deep under his tone. "Care to tell what happened?"

"Nothing much," y/n admitted half heartedly. "just a group of losers."

Just as she had finished speaking, she felt her face being pulled down. Now her eyes had met Xiao's golden ones. "Xiao?" She mumbled through squished cheeks. "My back will hurt if you keep doing this."

At that, xiao mao lets go. "Tell me if you feel any pain."

"... actually-"

Oh no he shouldn't have asked.

"My palm hurts from holding my sword to tight earlier. How about you help me with it?"

Just as he was about to reach out and grab her hand, y/n backed up slightly, lifting her arm above her head. "Gotta work for it though."

"Isn't it you who wants the help?"

"..." Y/n found the flaw in this plan almost immediately. "...Don't you feel sorry for me?"

Xiao sighed, and for once he didn't just stand there and stare. He stood on his toes and tried to reach up.

Successfully grabbing her wrist, Xiao pulled y/n's arm down, whilst also turning her around and slamming her against the wall.

With both hands now behind her back and unable to move, y/n could only speak. "God damn it you're really fast."

"Stop messing around." He growled. Y/n's hand really was swelling. The part where she said she had gripped her sword to tight wasn't a lie, but she really did just want to mess around with him.

"Ow, ow ow!" Y/n hissed, feeling Xiao's thumb pressing her palm. Though it was in a slow motion and done very softly, it was still very painful.

"That's enough, that's enough! I'm sorry, jeez!"

Seeing y/n struggle underneath his grip, a thought suddenly appeared in Xiao's mind. maybe he doesn't regret it after all.

︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶༉‧₊˚.

Yummy ending

Also that pun was so stupid lmao

Xiao mao... Small cat... Xiao cat... Cat... Small xiao cat...