||Xiao: My Last Goodbye, 再见

Happy easter! Snort, yes, happy indeed.

I feel my incoming de---- HAHAHAH

Also they/them prons.

➷my last goodbye, 再见➷

It was on one windy afternoon when Aether first brought y/n to meet Xiao. Just like the traveller, they were trapped in Teyvat, a whole new continent for them to explore.

Maybe it was because Xiao already knew Aether, and since y/n was stuck in the same predicament did Xiao trust her quicker than he would imagine.

Only after a few missions together, Xiao had already started calling them by their first name. The usually silent adepti even struck a conversation with them first, it was rare even for Aether.

Y/n was surprised when Xiao asked them, "What was it like in your world?" They even struggled to answer.

"Well- well first of all we don't have visions or that sort. Like any other, there were ups and downs. War goes on everyday there and lives are constantly lost." There was sadness in their voice, and they didn't bother to hide it. Y/n continued, "I was a general in the army. Always on the front lines."

"Do you want to go back there?"

The question struck y/n surprised. They answered without hesitation, "of course I do. Without me, there is no leader. The people would die!"

The adepti went silent. Even if he didn't ask he would have known. He also knew y/n was either a noble or high in power. The way they carried themselves were definitely different than that of a commoner. The way they fought was also nothing like a beginner or mediocre.

Xiao held back a question, 'what if you can't go back?' instead he stood up to leave the balcony and retire to his room.

Before he could step inside the inn, one of his arms were pulled back. "Xiao I-" y/n hesitated. "This is gonna sound cringe but; I like you."

They had gathered up all the courage in that little heart of theirs for three words. Y/n sucked in a breath in anticipation but already knew his answer.

"I'm sorry." The adepti pulled his arm back roughly and continued inside, walking as if he had been offended by all the seven demons.

A little piece of y/n's heart was torn off as if it was just a piece of fabric. Still, they kept their smile even as the adepti walked away.

It'll be alright, I still have time. They thought. Don't I?

The next few days weren't awkward, thanks to the help of the ever friendly Aether and y/n acting as if their confession never happened. Xiao had also remained the same, unsociable and kept his distance.

Though he had gone more quiet around y/n, with how y/n acting as if nothing was amiss, Aether never noticed.

Now again they were at the usual balcony. This time, y/n has an almond tofu in their hands.

They didn't want to be seen as if they were bribing almond tofu for Xiao's love, but things happen. Aether had asked y/n to bring it to him, unaware of the thing that had gone between the two.

"...thanks." he said as he began eating. A little sour on the inside, maybe he had expected something else.

"Xiao I-"

The adepti nearly dropped his spoon and stopped chewing, as if frozen.

"I like you." Unlike the first time when y/n had said those words with hope, this time it sounded more like they had said a statement for a presentation.