||Wriothesley: The Duke's Prettiest Pearl

This one's f!reader but worry not my fella’s, the next wriothesley oneshot is m!reader
Also halfway writing this i got increasingly drunk with soju so it's probably gonna like… yeah anyway 👍

By the way i made like a whole complete lore for Fontainian mermaids but didn't have the chance to fully expand on it in the story itself so if anyone's reading it please ask so i can answer lolol /hj (unless you can guess it yourself ig)

F!reader | mermaid!reader | not angst | pre-established friendship(?) | Lowkey innocent reader | endearing Wriothesley | they're both down bad for each other | don't be species-phobic | set between act 3 so spoiler warning | actually very little mention of act 3 | I wrote this slightly drunk forgive me

★ The Duke's Prettiest Pearl ★

Underneath the seabed of Fontaine, the prisoners within the Fortress of Meropide talked amongst themselves. Gossip was easy and quick to come to, especially when it came to their mysterious administrator and duke, Wriothesley.

“Have you heard? There's a rumor that his grace fell in love!”

The prisoner's mouth hung wide open, dropping her spoon in the process. “His grace? You- you mean the duke- OUR duke? Impossible!”

Her friend nodded quickly, leaning his body forward. “It's true! Other inmates have spotted the duke staring out into the sea; they say he's been longing to meet her in the overworld but he can't leave the fortress behind…”

When she didn't look convinced, he continued speaking, “He even built a new floor in his office that looks out into the sea because she would often swim down to meet him!”

“Isn't that just because he wants to get some sunlight in?” She shook her head, “let's stop talking about this before the duke gets mad!”

While the two prisoners continued eating their lunch, changing between different topics, their administrator was in his newly built third floor office.

The blue-ish sunlight filtered by the clear seawater of Fontaine was very different compared to the dark and humid surroundings of the Fortress of Meropide. While the building materials were technically the same, the room had more windows than walls, and it was built on the seabed rather than under.

Wriothesley stood in front of the big window, hands behind his back. The view outside the sea was somehow familiar yet unfamiliar to him. He watches as colorful fishes swim past, hiding behind tall seaweed.

In the horizon, a silhouette inched closed. Y/n crossed the waters with speed no normal human could achieve, her tail moved in a waving motion. Not a minute later, Wriothesley could already see her clearly. Y/n’s f/c scales reflected the sunlight that passed through the waters, sparkling like a metallic coating.

“Y/n,” Wriothesley placed a hand gently on the glass that separated the two.

“Wriothesley, hello!” she sped up her pace, almost crashing against the glass. Despite the barrier, they could still hear each other's muffled words.

Their meeting started out as an accident when Y/n took a wrong turn and ended up surfacing inside Wriothesley's secret ship project basement. She was quite afraid, being the only last mermaid to survive, but at the same time Wriothesley absolutely captivated her. He was – in a lack of other terms – distractingly handsome. After that, their meetings became increasingly regular.

“Would you like to come in?” He invited, “I made tea.”

“I would love to!” Her tail flicked around before swimming away. Wriothesley could still follow her figure up until she dove straight into a hidden hole between the seaweeds.