Chapter 11: Money Problems

The next day came and Rosie was still a little shaken up from yesterday. When she got home that day after the break in she was actually thinking about giving up, she was so terrified, but after she ate something and took a nap, she felt a lot better. She made her way to breakfast after getting to ready for school. She walked past the sitting room, her parents were talking, more arguing. She hid behind the door and listened.

"We can't keep living like this, after me being fired by Mr. Mallory. We need money" said Rodger.

"Why can't you just ask him for your job back or any job back?" asked Annabeth. Both of their tempers were clearly heightened.

"I've tried to get hired. No one in this place will hire me or Robbie. Not after what happened with Charlie."

"Lets not bring that up!"

"Bring it up! It's the whole reason we are in this situation."

"So you are going leave this family!"

"I'm leaving to find a job in another town and send money home. We have already fired the help!"

Rosie hadn't even noticed that.

"Robbie offered to come, but I told him no. I don't trust people in this town anymore and I want him her to protect you, Rosie, and Will!"

Rosie now more then ever it was critical to find out who it really murdered Jane Mallory. 

She hadn't even noticed that Will was listening to. Rosie turned around, to see him.

"We should get to breakfast and head to school" said Will motionining for her to follow.

Rosie said nothing and followed him. They got their own breakfast, then sat down. Robbie walked in they were dead silent. Then the front door slammed as Rodger stormed out. Annabeth came in.

"You need to hurry up and get to school" she said as she started to slam dishes around cleaning them.

They all watched her.

"What are you doing go!" She yelled. That made them all jumped.

"Go" said Robbie.

Will and Rosie got up and left.

They walked to school in mostly silence. Still Rosie sparked up conversation.

"Do you really think dad is going to leave?" asked Rosie.

"I know you didn't know much about the problem till now, but yes I do its pretty bad, but that's why dad is leaving to fix it" said Will.

"He won't be gone forever will he?" asked Rosie.

"No, just did everything settles down" said Will.

"What settles down?" asked Rosie.

"Rosie? Listen Charlie was accused of murder. Whether he did it or not, he is in jail for it. People in town and around have the right to believe what they want. Some people believe he did it and some people don't. Eventually it would be old news, and everyone will move on. Including us. I know you sneak into town, but you need not to. There is still a killer in this town."

"So you believe he didn't do it?" asked Rosie.

"Of course I don't think he did it" said Will.

"I never thought about that before, how there is a killer out there."

"Ya that's why Robbie is always on your case about where you are going and where you were. You shouldn't go anywhere by yourself, to be safe."

"I'm careful"

"It's not a matter of being careful, you a little girl. You would not be able to protect yourself from a grown man. You also shouldn't trust anyone in town."

Rosie was silent, he was right. She thought about Fiona could she really trust her? No of course she could Charlie said she could. They made it to school and soon it was over and Will and Rosie made their way home. They got there and there were suit cases at the front door. Rodger was really leaving. Robbie, Annabeth, and Rodger came in.

"Rosie, William I'm leaving to find a job in another town. I want be gone long I hope, but Robbie.will be here. You will be okay. "

He hugged them both. He then took Rosie in his arms.

"I need you to stay of trouble and help you mother the best you can."

"Yes sir" answered Rosie. They hugged. He then hugged Annabeth and shook Robbie's hand

"Keep them safe" said Rodger to Robbie.

He then left. They stood on the porch and waved goodbye.

That night Annabeth was in the kitchen. Robbie and Rosie were in the living room. Robbie was reading and Rosie was writing a letter to Charlie. Rosie happened to look up out the window. There was a man standing there.

"Robbie!" yelled Rosie.

Robbie looked up to see a man with a rock in his hands. Robbie reacted quickly he grabbed Rosie and protected her from the shattering glass as the man threw the rock. Rosie screamed as the rock hit the window. Annabeth and Will running in. Robbie put Rosie down on the couch.

"Don't move" he said.

"Robbie!" yelled Rosie. 

Robbie ran out the door. He was chasing the guy down. Robbie tackled the guy and punched him a few times. Meanwhile Annabeth called the police. Rosie got up and picked up the rock on it were the words MURDERER written in red. Will grabbed it and hugged Rosie. 

"What does it say?" asked Annabeth.

Will handed it to her. Annabeth just stared at it.

Robbie was outside with the man. Robbie had him pinned against a tree.

"Who the hell are you!" yelled Robbie.

"It was a dare" said the man scared, he actually a little younger than Robbie.

"A @$&$@) dare! You could of hurt her!" yelled Robbie.

"I'm sorry I'm sorry" pleaded the man.

Robbie throw him to ground. Something came over the man.

"Maybe it wasn't your brother who killed that girl. Maybe it was you, you seem like you are capable of killing."

Robbie got furious and knocked him straight out with one blow.

The police soon came and took the man and the rock. Robbie made his way back to the house 

Will was standing there with an arm around Rosie. Annabeth was also there terrified and upset that someone did this to her family. Robbie came and Rosie ran to him, he hugged her. She knew now how dangerous this really was and realized she needed her family.

"Lets all go to bed" said Annabeth.

"No, Will go get two hammers and nails, I will get the wood. We will go to bed soon." said Robbie.

Will did what he was told.

"Be careful" said Annabeth

"Come on dear" said Annabeth taking Rosie to bed.