Chapter 17: The Investigation of Mr. Mallory

Ronan didn't know why he was helping Rosie. He knew if he didn't, Rosie would do it herself and he knew how dangerous this all was. He came line up with a plan. He would be cleaning tomorrow. His job was to clean Mr. Mallory's building. He decided he could peak around in Mr. Mallory's office while he was cleaning. He headed to work the next day, nervous as ever. He couldn't beleive he actually was going to do this. What if Rosie was wrong? What if he was investigating an innocent man? He would get fired and who knows what else. He soon got to work and started he duty of cleaning. He started like he always did downstairs, and worked his way upstairs. Mr. Mallory left work at 3 and that was when Ronan would clean his office. That time soon came and Ronan was feeling real anxiety, but he started snooping around. He opened his desk and flipped through the papers. Any sound he heard, he stopped and looked up. He looked and looked and looked, then soon came upon bank records, that were kept in a book. He then remember how Charlie went to jail with no investigation at all, and how everyone knows that Mr. Mallory paid the cops off. Ronan flipped to the page of when the murder took place. He looked, but saw no big sum of money. He looked closer and saw that there was a miscount in the money withdraws about 10,000 dollars was no counted for. That was it, the evidence he needed. He heard somone coming, so he ripped out the page, put it back and started cleaning again. It was Mr. Mallory.

"I have some work to do" said Mr. Mallory, "You don't have to clean my office today."

"Yes sir" said Ronan leaving.

He was so nervous, he hoped that Mr. Mallory wouldn't notice. He took the paper and put it in his pocket then left. He got home quickly and wrote Rosie a little note, stuck it in an envelope along with the page, the headed out to put it by the tree. Meanwhile Rosie and Will were walking home from school with Robbie. Ronan walked right into them.

"Hi" said Ronan.

"Hi Ronan" said Rosie, "I never got to thank you for the other day"

"Well your welcome" said Ronan as he slipped her the envelope. No one saw. Rosie stuck in her pocket.

"Lets go" said Robbie taking Rosie's hand and leading them off. Ronan turned around and headed back home.

Back at the house Rosie, ran to her room and sat down on the floor, she opened the envelope. She read the note.

Rosie,

This is a bank statement, it shows all Mr. Mallory's withdraws and deposits. There is a 10,000 dollar gap. Be careful

Ronan

She looked at the other paper and examined it. He was right there was a 10,000 dollar gap. This was great the evidence she needed. She still doesn't have a motive, she would still need to figure this out, before taking her evidence to police. She wanted to let Fiona know what she found, but wasn't sure how to. She also wasn't sure if she would tell her about Ronan. She decided she would figure that out later. She was soon called to dinner.

"Rosie time to eat!" yelled Annabeth up the stairs.

She headed downstairs.

"Any letter from Charlie?" asked Rosie.

"No" said Robbie, "But dad sent one."

Robbie took it out and gave to Annabeth. She read it to herself. Annabeth then looked saddened.

"What?" asked Will.

"He says he can't find a job" said Annabeth, "So he will be home in a few days"

"What are we going to do?" asked Will.

"We will be fine, we figure something out. Charlie gave us that money. We just need to be sparing" said Annabeth.

"I need to go find work somewhere, maybe I will have better luck. I'm young I could find farm work" said Robbie.

"No Robert, you father won't allow it" said Annabeth, "and either will I."

"It may be our only option" said Robbie.

Rosie finished her meal quickly, she didn't want to be a part of the convesation.

"May I be excused?" asked Rosie interrupting.

"I suppose" said Annabeth.

Rosie got up and took her plate to the kitchen. Everyone watched her worried.

She needed to end this soon. She had to get Charlie out and clear his name. If she was going to save this family.

Two days later Rosie was sitting on the back porch doing homework, she was waiting for Her dad to come home he would be there that night. She looked up at one point to see someone at the edge of the woods by the field. She looked closer it was Fiona! She put her books down and headed up the field.

"Fiona?" asked Rosie, "I'm glad your here, I have something important to tell you."

Before Rosie could react. Fiona grabbed her and put a hand over her mouth and pulled Rosie into the woods.