18. Unforgivable Mistake

Date Published: 31st March
NaLu AU
A bit angst :<

•••♡•••

The light coming from Natsu's phone cascaded on his face as he stood in the darkness of the night. He stared at his phone wallpaper. Her smile... He always found it so precious. It was one of those so many reasons why he fell in love with her. She was always so positive, bright, and carefree.

And as rare as the pearl in the endless ocean, her tears were so hard to see. It would only fall if she's really hurt, like when her mother died. That's the time he promised to himself that he'd never let it fall again, especially if he's the reason.

Bringing his phone up to his ear, his onyx eyes stared at her apartment's window as he waited for her to pick up the line. And when she did, worry quickly embraced his chest and pushed the gate open without second thought.

"J-Just come in, Natsu. I can't stand..."

The landlady next door only gave him a nod and let him open Lucy's apartment. Upon entering, he found her lying on her bed, face was buried deep on her pillow while her arms were hugging her belly.

"Luce! What's wrong?" Natsu attended to her, sitting on his heel next to her bed and brushed her hair off her face when she turned to his direction. Her brown eyes glimmered with pain, beads of sweat were forming on her forehead, though a small smile was plastered on her lips.

"I... I have menstrual cramps..."

Oh... Natsu blinked, and then let out a loud sigh of relief. Lucy suffering from monthly cramps wasn't new to him, and he already knew what he needed to do. But first thing's first...

"Uhm, do you want me to buy... sanitary n-napkin?"

Lucy giggled, too amused at Natsu's red but serious face. She suddenly remembered the time when he bought a bunch of pads in the grocery store when she had her first day during their date, while she was waiting for him in the restroom.

Noticing his furrowed eyebrows, she bit her lip. "Ehem. Well, I still have some so buying another pad isn't necessary for now. B-But could you please--"

"Make warm water and put it in a mineral bottle? Of course," he cut her off, now with a grin as he walked to her kitchenette. Lucy watched him with a smile despite her aching belly. Cramps sucks big time, alright.

"Natsu," she called, noticing that he was well-dressed and ready to attend a party. He hummed as a response and looked at her over his shoulder. "You know that I can't go with you in Zeref's birthday party, right?"

The creased of his eyebrows deepened, a sign of an incoming objection. "Luce--"

"I'd only be a burden, I'm telling you."

"Then I'll stay here with you--"

"No," Lucy tried to sit up but still squeezing her belly. "It's your brother's special day, Natsu. Among the people around him, I'm sure he's waiting for your greetings the most."

Trying to win the argument, Natsu fired his last attack... "Then I'll just text or call him--"

"Natsu."

"Fine!" ...but Lucy had him whipped badly, you see. "But I'll only go there to greet him and go home to you right after, you here me?!"

Her grin widened, heart in a pure bliss when she realized that he had just called her as his home. "Aye, sir!"

Natsu shook his head while transferring the warm water in the plastic bottle, and walked towards her to hand it. After receiving the bottle, Lucy automatically closed her eyes when he crouched down to kiss her forehead.