Part 14

The call lasted close to an hour; Dream had to leave in the middle of it though to join Karl's Jackbox stream. Techno had gone to take a more serious phone call.

Tommy fidgeted on the couch. He craved something to do, someone to talk to. He opened discord and slowly scrolled through his friend's list. Checking Twitch, he found that Ranboo was free and online.

Tommy: hey

Ranboo: Hi!

Tommy: Hows Christmas?

Ranboo: its alright. I was planning to hop on the SMP later if you wanna join

Tommy: sure

Tommy grinned at his phone. This was what Tommy craved right now.

Once the two were on the SMP they began talking on discord. The moment was pretty chill as the two were just resource collecting for projects. It was calming to Tommy, and soon he was even opening up to Ranboo.

Tommy told Ranboo what he felt he couldn't tell Tubbo. He explained how he knew his dad was getting worse but couldn't be there. How his dad's family and the pandemic had fucked up his life. How much more stressful it was now to do anything, either watched by strangers in a new country or watched by millions of fans.

After two hours of resource gathering, the two finally said goodbye with promises to meet again soon.

Tommy moved back to the living room where he awkwardly fidgeted on the couch for a few minutes. Techno had gone to join Phil's stream with Wilbur, and Tommy sat waiting. His mom should call any minute with an update on dad and saying Happy Christmas.

Tommy's feet flopped up and down in front of him. Finally, after what felt as if hours of waiting Tommy's phone rang. He quickly picked up.

"Mom?" Tommy hesitantly asked breath caught in his chest.

"Hey Toms, Happy Christmas." She spoke softly into the phone. Tommy could hear the quiet beeps and clatters in the hospital behind her. He recognized it from the many past times he went to visit his dad.

"Happy Christmas, how's dad doing?" Tommy asked voice quieting to a little more than a whisper. He looked up as Dream walked over to him, sitting down with soft eyes. Techno was not far behind.

There was a pause before his mother responded. "He," a pause as her voice cracked, "he is still breathing Toms."

Tommy sat there not sure if he could say anything, how bad had his father gotten? His mom suddenly interrupted his thoughts and fears.

"Honey I have to go; the doctor is back to talk about some results" she spoke softly.

"okay-" the phone call beeped ending. Tommy's phone slowly slipped from his hand his words caught in his throat.

Tears finally began running down his face, he felt like he was choking on air. His brothers pulled him close tightly between them. He felt so empty. He grasped tightly onto the arm holding him from the front and curled tightly around it. It was as if the arm was the only thing keeping him stable.

The phone had fallen down onto the floor, and Techno, who still had mostly free bodily function, whilst rubbing Tommy's back, reached for it. As Techno reached back up fully, the phone began to ring again. A look at the contact quickly notified Tommy who it was.

His Mom was calling back.