hidden talent

-:- no pandemic happened

× × ×

You and Duke have been invited over a friend's house for a party. However, he went to a lot of insisting since you were more of a homebody who likes to stay in your own comfort zone, listening to music and the such. In the end, you made a deal that you will come if he never leaves your side and never be left with strangers.

It's an extrovert-introvert tandem you have to live with.

On the day of the party, you did your own makeup, wore comfy clothes, tied your hair neatly, and sprayed your signature cologne. Duke also looked good in his black and yellow vertical-thin-striped button up shirt, jeans, and grey sneakers. He also brought your favourite hoodie of his just in case. You tied it around your waist.

Duke drove the car while you played Groovepad (a launchpad app) on your phone, making beats that only you could hear. You bopped your head to the rhythm you created, watching the tall buildings you passed by and the reflection of the sun setting in the glass mirrors.

"What are you listening to?" Duke asked, noticing you were even joining in a beatbox to your music.

"Oh, uh, Shawn Mendes," you quickly replied.

"You're lying," said Duke, side-glancing at you. "And since you when can you beat box? You didn't tell me you could beat box."

You awkwardly laughed. "I don't think it's real beat box, I'm just clicking my tongue."

"You're literally making melodies. That's awesome."

You would like to say thanks to Duke, but that also meant you exposed and agreed that you are good at beatboxing. You only gave him a nod and went back to your music, this time making sure you're quieter.

When you arrived at the house, Duke parked the car and opened the door for you. You walked hand in hand towards the doors to meet with your other group of friends. Inside the house, the first thing you noticed was not the bodies dancing on the floor, but rather the out-of-harmony loud music that was threatening to pull your ears out. The DJ's beat wasn't in tempo and definitely similar to pressing on random buttons like a baby given a piano.

"I'll go grab us some drinks," Duke told you over the music and lights.

"Duke," you pleaded him not to leave.

"You're with our bestfriends. I won't take long." He kissed your cheek before walking over to the crowd and kitchen.

As he tried to get through, he threw a glance at the DJ near the stairs. He was having the same thoughts like you about how the music wasn't really... likeable. He reached the kitchen, got two red cups, and poured his coke and your choice of drink. Before he left, he considered getting the rest of the drinks so he wouldn't go through the sweaty people again.

When Duke returned to your group of friends, his hands were full of two more coke cans and your drink. He was confused to see you not around anymore.

"Hey Duke!" Someone patted his back, spilling a bit of the drinks into the floor.

"Hey, where's Y/N?" Duke asked, turning around.

"She's playing the beats as the new DJ!" They told him, pointing back over the crowd.

You were already wearing Duke's hoodie and neon headphones. Your hands worked quickly around the DJ's table, making new music everyone can dance along too. You were telling them to jump on the beat and then drop the bass suddenly, then bring back the looped the music layered by your beat boxing.

"You didn't tell us she could do that! Why didn't you tell us?! She's so cool at it," your friend questioned Duke.

"I had no idea," he simply replied, watching you have fun in the spotlight with a proud smile on his face.

"She's bringing in sick beats. I gotta record this." Your friend left Duke to get their phone and recorded you playing.

He was bopping his head along with your music, careful not to spill any of your drinks. He knew, as you stood there on the other side of the room, that you wouldn't let go of this moment easily and he'll have to bring you home still high on adrenaline rush. There was a wide smile on your face as people cheered you for more. Duke could feel your happiness and enjoyment radiating all over the room, and it felt like he fell in love once again on the same girl over and over.

When you took a time out on the DJ-ing, Duke quickly walked over to you and gave you the drinks. He helped you remove the hoodie since you were feeling hot inside. He told you how he was proud to see you doing your own thing, feeling so energized, as if your introvert side was gone for a while.

The party ended still you being the DJ. Everyone thanked you for your music and was looking forward for more of your amazing work. You had to pull Duke out of the house, feeling exhausted already, and coming back to your quiet shell.

"You were terrific up there, you know," Duke said as you sat inside the car. He held your hand across the clutch.

"I heard that too many times tonight. Was it even real?" You raised an eyebrow at him.

"I'm pretty sure it is. I mean I have a recorded video of it." Duke showed the file in his phone and you blushed. He pulled you close and kissed you on the cheek lovingly.

"No, but seriously, I leave then came back to you were throwing a concert?" The both of you chuckled.

"It's a long story," you told him.

"How is me leaving for five minutes a long story?"

You only laughed at him and kissed him on the lips. You brushed your nose against his, earning a giggle.

"Let's go home, I feel tired," you told him.

"And here I thought I'll be the one dragging you home." Duke turned on the ignition and drove home, your music playing in the background.

× × ×

stay sleep, eat hydrated, have enough healthy :)
oh and listen to my boi Shawn Mendes's music <3