pillows

You pulled out the box of fairy lights from the storage room. The dust covering it flew into the air when you dropped the box in the bedroom.

"Coming through," Duke announced as he walked into the room carrying a chair. He placed the chair on the corner of the room. He stood on it and he touched the ceiling with a proud smile.

"Yeah whatever, Mr. Oh-look-here-I'm-so-tall-I-can-touch-the-ceiling." You mocked him. You pulled the fairy lights out of the box and handed it to him. After he hung it on the hook on the corner, he moved to the other side, also hanging the lights.

"It's not balanced," you told him.

Duke looked at the hanging lights. He turned to you with a raised eyebrow. "I think it's perfectly balanced."

"Whatever you say, Thanos." You stepped closer to him and pointed at the threads. "Pull that a little bit ― see that's better."

Duke hopped down on the chair, agreeing with your statement. He moved to stand behind you, snaking his hands on your waist, and giving a kiss on your neck. He dropped his head on your shoulder and you leaned against him.

"If we just stand here, we won't finish anything," you told Duke.

"It can wait," he murmured.

"I can't." You pulled away his hands and scurried to the bed, grabbing a stack of pillows your arms could hold. 

Suddenly, Duke threw a pillow at you. His eyes were casted to the corner but his lips slowly formed a not-so-innocent grin. He glanced at you, you narrowed your eyes at him. You ignored him however and resumed to fix the covers of the bed.

*thump*

Duke threw another pillow at you, even if he won't admit it. You turned your back at him, slowly grabbing a pillow then attacking him furiously. You ran around the room, hopping in and out of the bed. With a blow to the side, Duke dropped to the middle of the bed. You sat on his stomach, still hitting his chest with the pillow.

He grabbed your waist then pulled you underneath him in a quick motion. He was about to kiss you when you lifted the pillow to your face.

"Y/N," he grumbled on the other side of the pillow.

"Dukey," you mimicked. You felt his weight on top of you as he hugged you. "Move your ass, you're heavy, you know?"

"No," he replied and muffled something else against the pillow in between the two of you.

"You big baby. You're nutty like a bad nut."

Duke sat up and gasped. "How could--"

"But I love you anyway."

Duke grinned and helped you sit up. He placed a hand under your jaw and kissed you.

"Seriously? That was all you needed to hear?" You said after the kiss.

"Y/N, all I ever needed is you," he whispered as he looked into your eyes.

"I find it ironic that as much as you dislike sweets, you're the sweetest, cheesiest and corniest person I know." You gently hit him with the pillow, making you both laugh. He grabbed it from you and stood up.

"I'll take that as a compliment. So have a pillow fort to do, don't we?"

. . .

After lots of failed attempts trying to make pillows steady on top of the bed, blankets falling off, and pillow fights and wrestles in between, you finally finished the fort just as the sun had fully set.

You and Duke then cooked and ate your quick dinner, showered, then changed into your pajamas to start the long awaited movie binge watching. You were settled already inside the pillow fort when you realized the things you missed.

"We forgot the popcorn," you said, rushing out of the bedroom.

"And the drinks!" Duke followed behind you. "And I forgot to charge our phones!"

"Your laptop!" You shouted and Duke ran into the office. You laughed when he almost slipped on his socks.

As you waited for the three bags of popcorn to cook, Duke made sure everything else was in place because there's no need for another disaster on a good night like this one.

*ping*

You opened the last bag and poured it into a bowl. Duke carried your drinks and other snacks as he trailed behind you into the bedroom.

With a sigh, you plopped down on the bed, snuggling yourself into Duke's arms and cloud-like pillows surrounding you. He pressed on the remote and the movie began to play on the big screen.

Not even an hour later, the two of you (exhausted from the whole day and night's work) were both sound asleep inside the pillow fort you made.