44. Nothing But The Truth

Chapter Forty Four

You adjusted your gray blazer, making sure your your white blouse was as flat as you could get it to be. You placed a hand on your heart, hoping it would stop racing so fast because if it kept going at the pace it was, you'd be taking a one way ticket to the cold hard floor.
The hand on your shoulder snapped you out of your gaze, but frightened you even more. Yuta placed his other hand on your head comfortingly, tapping you slowly to show you that it was just him. You eased and he let go of you, giving you a pitiful smile.
You saw Changkyun having a very intense conversation with your lawyer, Mrs. Jung, not too far away and you couldn't even bother to try and listen in on it.
Your head was spinning at the sight of the court room you were standing in.
You couldn't believe this was actually happening.
You were about to testify. You were the plaintiff. He was the defendant.
Did this have to happen? It was terrifying. You know that you'd been preparing for the last two weeks but it hurt. Being here hurt.
There was so much pressure. What if he was proved innocent? What would happen if that somehow happened? What would you do in the case? How would you even begin to start living life again?
That was the only thing that was weighing you down. Except one more thing, and that problem would be solved soon.
Your own boss had made sure of it.
But that wasn't what you were worrying about. You were more worried about the fact that you were telling your story in front of a whole jury and judge. You stared mindlessly at the gavel that was resting atop the judges box, your hands shaking at the thought of this being closed in his favor.
It was terrifying you.
"Hey." You heard a voice affirm, making you jump out of your daze, facing the person.
"Calm down. Look at me." Changkyun bent down, his fingers grasping your shoulders while his warm gaze melting through your uneasy one.
"Take a deep breath. Follow what I do." Changkyun inhaled deeply, urging you to do the same with a simple squeeze, so you did. He repeated the process multiple times and you followed as he wished, feeling your nerves die down.
Just a little bit. Not a lot.
You appreciated the effort though.
Changkyun's similar gray suit rubbed up against yours as he took a small step closer to you, his hands still not moving from your shoulders.
"Do you remember what you're going to say when they ask you things?" He asked slowly, and you could tell he was trying not to overload you with too much.
"Memorized to the punctuation." You responded, trying to be confident but you couldn't lie. You sure did have to pretend you were. Hopefully, your occupation was worth it in a scenario like this.
"That's my girl." Changkyun smiled encouragingly but your anxiousness had yet to leave you. You didn't expect it to but you really did wish that he was able to take more of it.
"You're going to stay, right?" You made sure, your nerves taking apart everything you thought you knew, but you couldn't handle not having him here. Changkyun, slipped his whole arm around your shoulder, bringing you past Taeyong and your lawyer, standing in front of the small rail that separated the public seating from the place where everything will actually be happening. He pointed to the desk that was parallel to the actual room, one of the chairs turned towards the gallery.
Changkyun pointed at that seat.
"You will be right there."
He turned you the smallest amount, pointing at the chair you were standing next to, just barely a few meters away from each other, even past the short gate.
"I will be right here. Turn your chair and look at me if you start freaking out. My eyes will be on nothing but you and if you need a smile, I will give you a smile." He assured, noticing that people were beginning to start filing into the room.
"Do you promise?" You asked one more time, still trembling despite having his hands push your shoulders down into your heels. Changkyun took one of your shaky hands, bringing up his own and looping his pinky through yours, the ring brushing your finger slightly.
"I'll be right here the entire time."
"You swear?"
Changkyun nodded.
"I promise."
Taeyong walked over to you two, your lawyer following behind him and you even caught your mother and sister in the back of your peripheral vision. Even Jungwoo was there, most likely for Lila. They looked like they were taking their seats though.
"It's time. The judge will be out in a bit." Taeyong told, Mrs. Jung nodding at his words. Changkyun gave your hand a comforting squeeze, nodding at you and giving you the sweetest grin he could give before he let go of you.
Suddenly, it was cold.
There were no final words exchanged between the two of you. Just glances as you took your seat on the plaintiff desk. You felt your heart rate speed up and your hands shake even faster at the sight of the jury walking in and taking their seats on the other side of the court, up against the wall parallel to you.
And your entire world stopped as soon as you saw him walk in from one of the outer doors, the handcuffs that had been locked around his wrist were unlocked and he was seated at the desk across the way from you, with two rather large men standing at either side of him.
You anxiously tapped your fingers on your thigh, your light suit suddenly feeling rather suffocating.
The entire courtroom rose as the judge entered the room and they went through the beginning proceedings that you'd completely drowned out since you were too busy staring at the man who was looking down at the ground, his hair cut shorter and his eyes dark. You could see his foot slowly step up and down, your own left leg shaking violently, so much that you had to hold your hands down on it, holding it down to prevent from being too loud.
Mrs. Jung stood up, speaking while she presented her opening statement. You didn't understand a word she said, instead, you turned your chair slightly, looking to the person you wanted the most comfort from.
And he was there.
He gave you a small smile, both of his thumbs turning up as soon as your eyes met. You didn't exactly calm down but it did help. You suppose. His expression became gentle, mouthing something you couldn't quite pick up, nodding comfortingly. You couldn't smile back, your eyebrows knitted together while Changkyun continued to mouth things with the sweetest of smiles. He spun his finger around and then pointed forward, telling you to turn back towards the court. You did just that, forcing out a smile before facing the judge.
A few more words were exchanged before you heard your name be said by someone. Mrs. Jung lifted you up, placing a hand on your shoulder before beckoning towards the witness stand. The court interpreter's typing speed increased by ten times, his fingers flying around his keyboard with every step you made. You stood there, feeling the judge and assistant judge's eyes look down on you. You gulped as one of the court staff made her way over to you, handing you a plaque like item with words engraved into it. Holding it in your weak arm almost caused the entire thing to drop but you were quick to take your other hand and grab it.
You looked back towards Changkyun, who just nodded at you. Taeyong and Yuta doing the same sitting on the seats to either side of him.
You took a deep breath, staring at the words before reciting them.
"I, Choi Y/N, do solemnly, sincerely and truly swear that the evidence I shall give shall be the truth the whole truth and Nothing but the truth."