chapter twelve

1975

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Fourth Year

Quidditch was once again in full swing and it was a very welcome distraction from all the rubbish I'd dealt with lately. It wasn't quite the fourth year I'd been hoping for but maybe it could be turned around.

I decided to focus on my long-standing friendships and studies. I wouldn't allow myself to be agitated by temperamental fools who wanted to be your friend one day and the next day ignore your existence.

Speaking of long-standing friendships I had decided to be Hestia's number one supporter and cheerleader during her matches. I felt as though I'd been neglecting her, what with everything I'd been dealing with. Stephen was really giving me a run for my money though. He'd charmed multiple objects to say, "HESTIA #1 IN MY HEART AND ON THE PITCH." I thought it was a bit cheesy but Hestia loved it and rewarded him with a snog which I walked away from with an eye roll. Maybe I was a little bitter that my love life was so dismal. I was painfully stuck in the friend zone with Severus and there was no chance of leaving.

A throat cleared and I belatedly realized Severus had been making an effort to get my attention. I'd spaced out thinking about him and there he was sitting next to me.

I'd successfully dragged him out to a match that didn't feature Slytherin and I was wasting my time lost in thought. Not just that but we were sitting on our own together and although it meant nothing, it meant everything to me.

Lily had opted to sit with Mary and Marlene who were not quite fond of Severus. They'd already had a few disagreements which resulted in everyone deciding to keep their distance.

As much as I loved my sister I relished being alone with Severus. I knew he would never look at me romantically but I couldn't help the small bit of hope. It felt like a date and I wasn't letting anything ruin it.

I scooted closer to Severus who grimaced and said, "I don't know why I allowed you to bring me to this thing."

I batted my lashes playfully and responded, "Because you love me?"

Instead of him declaring his love for me how I wanted, he just rolled his eyes. I laughed and looked over to the pitch waiting for the players to come out.

Severus was just about ready to launch into a rant about how lacking the teams seemed to be in time management when we saw the swift movements of the brooms and the students on them.

My eyes zoned in on Hestia and I felt filled with pride. My best friend had worked hard and accomplished so much. No matter how many times I saw her play I always had a huge sense of admiration and joy.

I latched onto Severus' arm and shook him as I couldn't contain myself or my excitement. I loved watching Quidditch matches and even more so ones where Gryffindor played. No matter the outcome I had a good time, now it'd be even better with Severus by my side.

I was still holding Severus when my eyes moved over to the less welcome sight of Black. All the players were on the field now flying by the stands evoking cheers and chants. As little as I liked Black, I could admit he was a good showman during the matches. He was especially talented at getting the girls to cheer and applaud him. This time around though, he seemed distracted and the usual smirk that marred his face was replaced by a glare.

It was unlike him and as far away as he was I couldn't make out what the problem could even be. He was looking in our direction so I glanced around but came up with nothing. Whatever it was I hoped he'd be okay and Gryffindor would be successful. We had a winning streak and I'd hate for it to be broken now. I knew we were in capable hands though so I sat back and decided to simply enjoy the game with Severus. His sardonic commentary and the fact that he still let me hold onto his arm made it all the better.

Surprisingly it was a close game and that was no disrespect to Hufflepuff. It was just Gryffindor usually dominated the pitch but this time the things were off. No one else had noticed or cared enough to mention it though.

Everyone was busy celebrating or nursing their wounds. Hestia and Stephen had gone off to celebrate her win; I'd have to get it out of her later what they'd planned. If I wasn't going to be dating I could at least live vicariously through my best friend.

Severus had slinked off probably for another secret meeting with his bad choice of friends. I couldn't be too mad though, we'd had a wonderful afternoon that left my heart beating faster than normal. Nothing happened but I wasn't used to having all of his attention so it was a nice change. Since he and Lily were the same age he typically turned to her for conversation or advice. It didn't bother me, we all mattered the same to each other and there was no favoritism.

The Common Room was abuzz with Gryffindors celebrating their win. I was no exception as I nursed a cup of butterbeer and conversed with Marlene, Lily's friend. She had just launched into a story of how she'd walked in on Davey Gudgen sneaking ingredients from Slughorn to make a love potion.

It'd just gotten good when I looked over and saw Black sitting dejectedly on the couch. Remus was by his side perhaps trying to talk him through whatever was going on. I thought back to the time he helped me with my issues. Although we weren't on the best terms I figured I owed it to him to at least ask if he was okay. I couldn't muster the courage to walk over though. What if I did and he ignored me or told me to piss off in front of the whole Common Room? I couldn't live down that embarrassment.

It was really strange to see him so out of sorts at a party. He usually had girls hanging on each arm while he told stories that had everyone in his vicinity laughing up a lung.

I scanned the room and saw Potter was hovering over Lily while she spoke to Mary. Pettigrew was in another corner flirting with a rosy-cheeked third year. Remus was the only one by Black's side but not even that seemed to help.

I was hardly paying attention to my conversation with Marlene anymore when I saw Black excuse himself and make his way out into the corridor. Remus sighed and slightly shook his head.

I decided this was my chance and I could finally return the favor to Black. Ever since he'd allowed me to vent and offered me actual advice I felt as though I owed him. I once thought it could be helped with offering a semblance of friendship but that was obviously not what he wanted. Maybe I could lend an ear and rid myself of the debt instead.

I smiled apologetically at Marlene as I cut her story off and told her I needed a breath of fresh air.

"I think I'll go see how close Lily is to hexing James then," she replied. I nodded my thanks and called out goodbye.

Everyone else was preoccupied celebrating and thankfully didn't see me slip out to find Black.