chapter twenty-one

1975

Jones Manor

Fourth Year

The balcony was thankfully devoid of sound or people. I could only complain about the bitter chill that was not helped by the dainty dress I had on. I rubbed at my arms hoping to warm myself but it was no use.

Black took notice, "I'll lend you my coat if you're cold."

The last thing I wanted was to be more indebted to him but before I could refuse he was taking off the article of clothing and placing it over my shoulders. I was immediately enveloped in a bundle of warmth and some intoxicating scent. It reminded me of the day Black found me so distraught.

He was always so quick to offer me comfort and it left me fumbling. I appreciated it but it also left me on such uneven footing with him. I wanted to express my gratitude as well as my confusion with him and this was the perfect opportunity.

"Thanks," I still didn't know how to start and I kicked myself for letting the silence continue.

Looking over Black I saw the grey robes he wore matched his eyes. Under the moonlight, they sparkled even more. It was like he belonged in an art gallery. The faint smile on his face, the crinkling of his eyes, and his hair which fell perfectly. His side profile showed off his sharp jawline and the straight slope of his nose, as he looked over the Jones' garden. It was strange to finally see him in this light but my mind couldn't help but admire him.

Black looked over at me and I realized he'd probably felt me staring. For some reason, I didn't even feel embarrassed and continued.

He smiled as our gazes met, "I wanted to tell you earlier but you look really beautiful tonight."

I sputtered out a thank you and tried to quell the sudden blush on my face. I had no idea where that had come from but in all honesty, I was flattered.

After a moment where he'd stared at me just as I had him, he asked, "How've you been, Prim?"

Black had called me by my first name and it oddly sounded nice. He wasn't chastising me for scoring anything less than 100 on a potions assignment or lecturing me about the importance of punctuality. He used my name kindly and it felt like it'd been a long time since someone had done that.

"I'm doing better," It was true, "I really am."

Black nodded, "I'm glad to hear that."

It was embarrassing but it was time I addressed the elephant in the room.

"This is probably the last thing I thought I'd be doing but I wanted to thank you," I finally said.

He looked at me questioningly. How could he be confused? He'd offered me tremendous kindness in my moment of need. Of course I'd have to thank him.

"You saw me on what had to be the worst day of my life and you helped me. I don't know how long I would've sat in that corridor if you hadn't come along. If we're being honest I probably would've turned into the next Moaning Myrtle," Black let out a huff of laughter.

I continued, "I'm not even sure how you got there that day but you did and you comforted me with no real reason to. You didn't laugh at me or use it against me like I thought you would. I was so mistaken about you. This whole year you've been proving my assumptions about you wrong and it's left me feeling like a bit of an idiot. I still don't think you outta bully Severus so much," At this point I was rambling but Black let me continue, "You probably want to forget it happened too but I couldn't let you think I'm an ungrateful person. I'm sure I'll never be able to repay you but I figured I'd at least tell you."