chapter twenty-two: an exchange of letters

Prim,

I never asked, is it alright if I call you Prim? It's a lovely name.

It must be strange receiving a letter from me but I thought I'd let you know James was grounded (as you predicted). I told him he'd be caught with the champagne!

He never listens to my sound advice and now we're both suffering. Fleamont and Euphemia have banned all use of the telly or radio. I'm itching to listen to Zeppelin or even the whiny crap they usually play on the radio.

Scratch that, I'd rather listen to chalk against the wall.

Anyway, I'm bored out of my mind so I figured I'd write a friend. Please give me a reprieve from my misery and tell me about something fun.

Sirius

Black,

I suppose you can call me Prim.

When have you ever given sound advice?

I suspect you encouraged Potter's behavior and that's why you're in the same boat he is.

Hestia and I just went ice skating and it was the best time. I've got a feeling you'd be good at it. I might have fallen once or twice but it was still a blast. Afterward, we went for pizza and I ordered the greatest topping combination. Can you guess which? (Hint: it's definitely not the pineapple and ham Hestia got.)

Prim

Prim,

I'm not sure if these letters are under surveillance so I can neither confirm nor deny your suspicions. Side note: you should be an Auror with your detective skills.

Do I sense a compliment? Did you just call me skilled and graceful? I've never been ice skating but I agree, I'd probably be a natural.

Pineapple and ham are the best toppings so I'm not sure what you got. (Please don't tell me it involves anything with mushrooms.)

Sirius

Dear Sirius,

Are you looking forward to going back to Hogwarts? I never thought I'd say it but I'm not.

If I'm being honest I'd rather not face Lily or Severus. I feel like I've been a terrible sister and it's the last thing Lily deserves. She's done nothing wrong but be herself. How could I fault her after all?

I've written to you more than I have her this entire break. That's something I never thought would happen.

I bet Ollie and Elio are tired of all these scrolls they have to deliver. I'll make sure to give them both big treats before we go back to Hogwarts. 

And Severus. I know you're not his biggest fan (neither am I at the moment) but he's been my best friend for ages. I don't know what to say to him. Should I even say anything? I probably shouldn't be asking you for advice but Hestia's currently flirting with Stephen over the Floo. (It makes me a bit ill to watch. Don't tell her I said that, though.)

Sincerely,

Prim

Prim,

I think going back will be great. Remember, you have me now. Maybe we can finally sit together at meals without you throwing biscuits at my head and telling me to piss off. Wouldn't that be nice?

Lily loves you and I'm sure she'll understand once you explain what the ugly git did. I can't believe he's got the nerve to turn you down. I mean look at you.

In any case, she'll give him a piece of her mind too. He's lucky I didn't find out what he'd done that very day or he'd be in St. Mungo's still recovering.

I know my view is biased but I say do away with the tosser. He's no real friend if he can leave you in the state he did.

Do you want to Floo later? I'm tired of listening to Prongs talk about his plans to make your sister fall in love with him.

Yours,

Sirius

Dear Sirius,

Yes, it'll be nice going back with a new friend. I'm blessed to have Hestia but she'll have Stephen and I'm still not sure where I stand with Lily or Severus.

I think what I'll do is play it by ear. My feelings on the situation are still a bit iffy but I'm glad you've been there to hear me out. I didn't know how badly I needed to vent to someone until you offered. There are some things I can't tell Hestia and although it kills me, it's a promise I made. The best person to talk to has been you because you already knew the ins and outs of the situation. I'm thankful for you.

Who would've thought I'd be divulging my deepest darkest secrets and feelings to Sirius Black? Not me, that's who.

Please, don't speak ill of Severus. I know it's an awful situation but he's still special to me. I don't know if we're friends at this point but he's taught me a lot. He'll always have a place in my heart.

Same here. Hestia hasn't stopped talking about her reunion with Stephen. Why do we have to deal with people in love? Yuck.

Is 8 okay?

Sincerely,

Prim