chapter five

1975

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Fourth Year

We entered the Great Hall and even though it wasn't my first time seeing it, I was taken with how beautifully arranged the room was like all my years prior. Headmaster Dumbledore made an effort to make us feel welcome and I for one appreciated it. I always felt safe and at ease when it came to the castle.

I had parted with Severus and I saw him now making his way to the Slytherin table. As bad as I wished to be with him I wouldn't for a second want to be in the company of those he called friends. Whenever they spotted me or Lily with Severus they jumped at the chance to belittle and insult us.

Mulciber and Avery were crueler than the Marauders and they weren't even funny. I would never admit it but on occasion, I had to stifle a laugh when Black or Potter made an especially good joke. I thought I had seen Lily crack a smile but whenever I pointed it out she readily denied it.

Like on the train Lily had to sit with the other Prefects so I would not see her until we made our way to the dorms. Luckily I was once again joined by Hestia who I was now recounting the events of the train to. The tables were filling up quickly and we had just sat down together when I heard a voice I definitely didn't want to hear.

"Oi, do you mind scooting over that way," Black called to the group of second years sitting next to me. The younger students quickly moved which left the space next to me free. It was then occupied by Black, Potter, and Pettigrew.

I turned back to Hestia who gave me a confused look. I was just as puzzled but I didn't want to give Black the time of day to ask what he was up to. It really was strange for him to go out of his way to sit directly next to me. The Marauders only really paid attention to me when I was with Severus or Lily.

I had decided to ignore him but that went out the window when I felt the weight of his eyes on me. I was already fed up with what he had done to Severus earlier and now he was interrupting my catch-up with Hestia.

"What do you want, Black?"

He held his head in his hands and fixed me with another expression I was unable to read. "I'm trying to figure that out myself," he mumbled. This gave me no answers and I only grew more frustrated.

Potter seemed increasingly distressed as he craned his neck to look over at where the Prefects were, "Padfoot, I can't even see Lily. You owe me one for making us sit here."

So it was Black's idea; had he really done it just to aggravate me further? Maybe he thought he hadn't done enough damage on the train.

I rolled my eyes and turned back to Hestia who had watched the whole interaction. She was pretty good at reading people and inferring things so maybe she had figured out the reason behind Black's seating choice. Instead, she just shook her head and changed the topic from the earlier discussion of Severus.

"How was your summer then? Anything new?" she asked.

I tried to think of something I'd done that didn't just include lazing about with Lily and Severus.

"I went to this record store and got a poster of The Who! Roger Daltrey is absolutely dreamy," At Hestia's stumped expression I explained, "It's a Muggle band."

She nodded in understanding. "I wish you'd come to visit one of these summers. My dad's so intrigued by Muggles, he'd love to pick your brain."

It was fascinating to me how some families lived completely in the Wizarding world. Hestia was a Pureblood and it essentially meant both sides of her family possessed magic. Although she wasn't like the snooty Slytherins that treated the status as a personality trait.

"Muggles sure are interesting," chimed in Black to my surprise. It seemed he had been listening to the whole conversation, "I'll have to see who this Daltrey bloke is. Can't have you slumming it like you were with Snivellus earlier."

Luck was definitely on his side because the Sorting Ceremony for the upcoming first years began before I could brandish my wand to hex him. All I could do was fix him with a glare that did nothing but cause him to grin in return.

"I just don't understand. Where does he get off sitting next to us and rudely interrupting our conversation?" I said in the silence that had enveloped the dorm room with most of the girls sleeping. I hadn't yet heard the telltale sound of snores coming from Hestia so I figured I could still vent.

She turned over in her bed to face me and blinked at me with bleary eyes saying nothing. She looked tired and I felt bad for stopping her from sleeping but I was furious.

I usually enjoyed the Welcoming Feast but Black and his friends had prevented that. If it weren't for him jumping into our conversation every second, it was them flicking food at each other or joking obnoxiously. My fourth year hadn't even started properly and I was already at my wit's end.

"Prim, why don't you try to sleep? Tomorrow's our first day and we both need to rest," suggested the other girl, "They're bothering you because they don't have Lily to pester anymore. Seeing as she's a Prefect she can take away House points."

This made sense and of course Hestia would be the one to help me see the truth. I thanked her for the peace of mind and wished her a goodnight. Laying my head on the pillow I closed my eyes. I was more than ready for what the new school year had in store for me.

bloom • sirius black • marauders era | book one On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara