chapter thirty-nine

1976

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Fifth Year

To my annoyance, the rest of the week passed in an agonizingly slow fashion. It also didn't help that every time I encountered Sirius he was accompanied by Marlene. The whispered jokes, warm laughter, and charming smiles he used to share with me were now directed at her. It was driving me mad but I couldn't do a thing. Instead, I was left to watch in silence and try not to let the jealousy eat away at me. This proved harder than I ever thought.

The silver lining of this week was that by avoiding places I might run into the cozy pair, I ended up spending more time with Tommy outside of class.

I found myself really enjoying our conversations. It made sense we'd get along considering how many interests we had in common.

He was the only other person I knew as interested in magical creatures as I was. One day we'd spent the entire afternoon discussing Hippogriffs and their misunderstood nature. We didn't even realize where the time had gone until it was dark out.

It was a welcome distraction and new friendship. After losing Severus, I'd struggled to find anyone else I could genuinely talk to aside from Hestia or Lily. It seemed I had found that in Tommy and it just took me too long to see. He'd always been there in class just as engaged as me but I was too focused on other things to realize.

Hestia had also been an unwavering stream of support for me. I tried not to bother her too much seeing all the different things she was juggling. She had quidditch, school, and her own boyfriend to divide her attention between. She didn't need me crying to her every night on top of that. I was tempted a few times but ultimately kept my emotions to myself.

I'd yet to tell Lily about Sirius and him being yet another failed love interest. It would be mortifying to reveal that the boy we'd detested for so long had turned into my best friend and crush. Deep down I knew she wouldn't judge me too harshly, maybe she'd tell me I could do better, but she'd never hold it against me. Still, I avoided the conversation and when we hung out, steering it towards only the positive. If Marlene approached I quickly excused myself and hoped no one noticed my abrupt departure. To my luck, Lily hadn't clocked it, or more likely decided to point it out.

I never would've expected this to be how the days leading up to my birthday would go. Truth be told, if you'd asked me last year where I hoped I'd be I would've replied dating Severus, celebrating my birthday with Lily and Hestia, and far away from any Marauder. Oh, how times had changed. Now I'd lost a friend, suffered heartbreak, and fallen for another foolish boy.

I hadn't seen a glimpse of Severus as of late and it was probably because he'd purposely made himself scarce. That really was for the best, because not even Lily wished to see him. Just as I'd shut him out of my life last year she had as well.

I'd heard from Mary that he'd attempted to beg forgiveness a few more times with no luck. I was proud of Lily for sticking to her guns but it really wasn't that shocking. She was the type of person that once she made a decision she didn't change her mind.

"Prim," sing-songed a voice above my head. I buried my face deeper into the pillow and ignored it. I heard a pair of giggles, "Good morning, sunshine!"

I knew there was no way I'd be going back to sleep, but I tried anyway. With more calls of my name that I knew wouldn't cease until I opened my eyes, I finally decided to sit up.

There at the foot of my bed stood Lily and Hestia smiling from ear to ear. Seeing the two most important people in my life made a grin appear on my face too. I might've been dreading my birthday up until now, but it suddenly turned around seeing the girls ready to celebrate with me.