chapter three

1972

King's Cross

First Year

Our shopping trip to Diagon Alley had been successful despite the run-in we had.

I now saw why Severus hated those boys and Lily barely tolerated them. She'd told me that since they were Gryffindors and in the same year they were forced to interact quite a bit. I felt sorry for her and worried about being placed in Gryffindor considering I'd have to deal with them then too.

The days continued as they always did and I made sure to ask many questions in preparation for our departure.

Despite my worries, I was buzzing in anticipation when we reached the platform that would take us to Hogwarts.

Mum and dad had forced Petunia to come along since both Lily and I would be leaving this time. We were meant to be having a touching sibling moment but instead, she sulked and leaned against a pillar.

Severus, Lily, and I stood around conversing and debating on which house I would be sorted in. Severus figured I'd end up in Ravenclaw because of my love of learning and reading. From what I heard Ravenclaw was for people who were smart and hardworking. This must've meant Severus thought the same of me; it made me irrationally happy. Lily countered I would be in Gryffindor with her because of my courage I showed just the day in Diagon Alley. Secretly I disagreed; even though I wished to end up in Gryffindor I was nowhere as courageous or kind as my sister.

When Severus gave us the rundown on the Wizarding World and Hogwarts in specific he told us all about Slytherin. To be frank it didn't sound like a very welcoming house so as badly as I wanted to be with Severus I wished to not end up there.

The last call was made and we went to our parents to say goodbye. Mum and dad hugged me extra tight while Petunia gave me a halfhearted pat on the back.

Putting myself in her shoes for a minute I realized how left out she must've felt. Not only did Lily and I get along better but we were both a part of this special world that she'd only ever get a glimpse into. I gave her one last glance and tried to display my sympathy. I didn't think it worked because she quickly turned around and went back to her pillar.

As we were finishing our goodbyes, I glanced at the way Severus' mum clung onto him, it was almost like she didn't want to let him go. Lily came to stand next to me and held my hand in hers. I glanced at her and she gave me a smile that relieved all the nerves I had. I was ready for what was to come as long as Severus and Lily were there.

I would've been completely lost if it weren't for my companions. Getting to the train was an adventure in itself and we laughed wildly after making it through.

We rushed to find a compartment that was empty or at the very least not full. I was looking forward to seeing the scenery pass by and trying some of the treats Lily and Severus had told me about.

We walked down the aisle and to our utter dismay we ran into the boys from Diagon Alley. This time I could put names to the faces as Lily had informed me after the last incident. Black and Potter were the real troublemakers and I was sure to fix them with a glare.

"Look mate, it's Snivellus!" Potter announced then looked at me and Lily, "Does he have you two under a spell? I just don't understand how else this berk could make friends."

I was filled with anger like at Diagon Alley but Black interjected before I could respond, "Be careful James, this one is feistier than Lily."

They laughed obnoxiously and that was the final straw. I did the only thing I knew to do- I kicked Black in the shin. It was quick and unexpected so he was unable to do anything but clutch his injury. It must have really hurt because he shouted, "You bloody-"