chapter thirty-one

1976

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Fourth Year

"Lily!" I shouted seeing her marching ahead of me in the direction of the castle.

She stopped and turned to wait for me to catch up. The wind was picking up and her bright red hair seemed alive combined with the furious expression on her face. If I were on the receiving end of that rage I'd be terrified.

"I can't believe him, Prim," she said when I'd finally reached her, "To think all the times I defended him and tried to think the best of him. I mean you were smart enough to leave when you did. I was stupid for sticking by him as long as I did."

I still felt the waves of anger and sadness from Severus' words. Even more so seeing how badly he'd hurt Lily. At this point, he'd done it countless times to me but to put sweet Lily through this? The girl he supposedly loved? I was disgusted.

"You're not stupid, you're just a good friend. No one would hold that against you," I said firmly.

Lily shook her head, "He's just as bad as that scum he calls friends. I should've known. We should've known. As soon as he started running with that crowd he was lost to us."

All I could do was nod. Lily had reached a revelation I had already come to terms with. She needed to vent and process just as I had. Instead of multiple tears like I shed, she let out a couple of curses and continued her rant.

"I'm never speaking to him again. I won't forgive him after this, I won't. I've given him so many chances, Prim! After everything he goes and calls that disgusting word. Us, the people who've helped him and showed him kindness when no one else would've," Lily said.

My sister had a forgiving nature and constantly tried to see the best in people: Severus had obviously taken advantage of that kindness. The patience and love I once had for Severus dried up when I realized this. It seemed Lily was experiencing the same.

"I know," was all I could say, "Let's go up the dorms, okay. I think we both need some time after this."

Lily agreed and we silently made our way. It felt like we were mourning something and in a way we were. Severus' time in our lives had reached its end and there was no going back.

It'd been an exhausting day for everyone and in particular Lily. My heart went out to her as I saw her getting ready for bed. She had the stress of her exams, on top of painfully losing her best friend. My own hurt grew as I thought of my sister and the turmoil she must've been going through. She was so incredibly strong and it shined through in moments like these. While I crumbled and cried she steeled her shoulders and put her war face on.

We were about to head to our respective dorms when Mary came over to us,"Snape's outside and he said he wanted to talk to you."

Lily crossed her arms and scoffed, "I'm not going out there."

"Well, he's refusing to leave, and apparently he's willing to sleep out there to wait for you," Mary warned.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes and instead left the decision to Lily. If she wanted we could go give him a piece of our mind or ignore him and head to bed. The second option was tempting, maybe Filch would find him and give him detention for being out past curfew.

The red-haired girl contemplated it for a minute, "Let's go, Prim. The faster we get this over with, the sooner we're done with him. This time for good."

"We only came because Mary said you were threatening to sleep out here," Lily said in lieu of a greeting.

I stood by her side sizing up Severus who looked a wreck. His eyes were pitch black and there was a crazed glint there. His hair was its usual shiny greasy mop but it seemed he'd combed his hands through it several times.