chapter twenty

1975

Jones Manor

Fourth Year

The chattering of voices, the fizzing of champagne, and the melodious sounds coming from the band Mrs. Jones had hired for the ball echoed throughout the room. The event was in full swing and I looked around proud of the work I'd helped with.

Mrs. Jones, seeing my eagerness, had asked for my input and allowed me to make decisions that were shown throughout the room. Growing up I was never given the chance to choose color schemes or the flowers used in table arrangements for parties. We always deferred to Petunia lest she have a fit. I never realized how much I liked event planning but being alongside Mrs. Jones and preparing for the ball was a blast. I felt content as I admired the hall and almost forgot my nerves.

That is of course until I saw Black walk in with presumably the Potter family. There was no mistaking the swagger he walked with or the mane of hair he'd seemed to have tamed. I hated to admit it but the outfit he wore complimented him well.

Say what you want about Black but you had to admit the man knew how to dress. Growing up in Pure-Blood society must've forced him to dress as well as he did now. Even in school with his cashmere sweaters and polished boots.

Potter stood next to him in a similar set of robes speaking with a smirk on his face glancing somewhere in our direction. I wondered what he was talking about but I didn't want to make it obvious I'd seen them so I averted my gaze. An older man and woman who shared similar features to Potter walked closely behind them.

"Oh, they're here!" Hestia interrupted my internal dialogue as she spotted the same people I'd been looking at just a minute ago.

We'd been standing near the dance floor speaking and enjoying the hors d'oeuvres. My stomach sank as I felt her link her arm through mine knowing where she'd be headed.

"Hestia, what're you doing?" I weakly inquired.

She sighed as though it was obvious, "We're basically the hosts, it'd be rude not to go and greet them." This made some sense to me but it still didn't mean I wanted to go. She continued, "Also they're my teammates. If I want a spot next year I have to be nice! I know Leemond is after my position."

Before I could break free or make up an excuse not to be dragged along we'd walked close enough to capture the eye of Potter. He greeted us with a smile and nudged at Black who'd been looking around.

My stomach was a ball of nerves but it turned into butterflies as soon as my eyes met Black's. He was probably shocked to see me as my trip to Hestia's was mostly kept under wraps. I didn't think I'd be seeing him anyway but here we were.

As we fully reached them Black's shock had faded into a smile so ecstatic it was contagious. I noticed he had that effect on lots of people, and as of recently me. I tried to wipe the smile off my face or tone it down but it was nearly impossible with Black looking at me the way he was. I didn't want to read too much into it so I turned to Potter. The knowing smirk he wore as he looked between me and Black didn't help. My safest bet was looking in the direction of the eldest Potters.

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Potter. We're so glad you were able to make it," Hestia spoke with poise.

Mr. Potter smiled and said, "Yes, thank you for having us, dear. You know, we would've made it sooner but Sirius here spent about an hour on his hair." This I could definitely believe.

"You know you wished you had this head of hair, Fleamont!" We all burst out laughing at Black's affronted response.

They ribbed at each other and cracked a few more jokes before Mrs. Potter asked for Hestia's parents.

"Last I saw them they were speaking to some other guests by the refreshments table. I'm sure you'll find them fairly quickly."

Mrs. Potter nodded and laced her arm through Mr. Potter's, "Well I think we'll head in that direction. You boys enjoy yourselves this evening. We'll be out mingling if you need us."

Their departure left us all in silence and it wasn't broken until Potter spoke, "So Prim, is your sister here?"

This resulted in a groan on my part and laughter from both Hestia and Black.

I let him know the tragic news that Lily was in fact at home. He immediately sighed dejectedly.

"Give it a break Prongs, even if she were she'd be hiding from you," he patted said friend on the back. I laughed and nodded in agreement.

I suddenly wished Lily were here not only because I missed her fiercely but because seeing her try to dodge Potter all night would be hilarious.

Black's eyes were back on me. It was an intense stare and I suddenly remembered my intentions for the night. If I didn't get it over with I would be left feeling awkward and unsatisfied. I needed to clear the air with him and thank him for the comfort he'd shown me.

As the others discussed the newest quidditch match, I gained the courage to interrupt, "Hey would you two mind if I spoke to Black for a minute?"

The conversation immediately halted and before I got the chance to backtrack they responded.

"We don't mind at all! I was just about to ask Hestia to lead me to the punch," Potter replied.

"Exactly, and if you want quiet the balcony's the perfect spot," Hestia, ever the helper, added.

With that, the two disappeared but not before I heard Potter stage whisper to Black, "I told you, you looked good Padfoot."

I chose to ignore the comment.

"So you wanted to speak to me?"

I finally looked at Black and the blinding smile he had on his face. My nerves were definitely still there but it was something I needed to put aside. I was put in Gryffindor for a reason, my bravery would need to start being put to use.

I tried to offer a smile in return but failed yet Black's did not dim. "Um, yeah. Let's head to the balcony though, I don't need anyone overhearing."