chapter eighteen

1975

Jones Manor

Fourth Year

Tinkering away in Mr. Jones' office, who held an interest in all things Muggle, had become a frequent pastime over the course of the break. He had all sorts contraptions in his collection that even I wasn't familiar with.

I was fifteen but no one needed to know I was still playing with toys. The yo-yo and slinky had become my favorites. I also enjoyed answering the questions he had about what growing up as a Muggle was like.

Hestia tried to get me out of it on more than one occasion but she eventually noticed I liked spending time there. At least this allowed her time to Floo Stephen and gush about how much she missed him.

I really didn't mind because Mr. Jones' fascination was endearing much like my own dad and the questions kept me thinking instead of straying to unpleasant thoughts.

I exchanged some letters with mum and dad but there was radio silence from everyone else. I got the occasional update on Petunia's newest achievement or how nice it was to have Lily home. It was bittersweet to hear she'd been spending most of her time with Severus. I couldn't help the jealousy that snuck in but I was also happy she wasn't completely alone. I missed her like a limb but I reassured myself a separation was necessary. I wanted to be able to talk to her like before and I couldn't do that when I still hadn't coped with the situation. As time passed my heart didn't hurt as badly and I was making up my mind on things as I'd never done before.

My train of thought was interrupted as Mrs. Jones walked in listing the tasks that needed to be done in preparation for the annual Winter Ball she hosted.

I was never one for dances but I felt this was the perfect time to break out of my shell. I deserved to have fun and that's what I was planning to do. In any case, the only people I was due to know would be the Jones'.

I made my exit as Mr. Jones began calling for the house elves to assign tasks that Ms. Jones had put him in charge of. There were two places where I could find Hestia and as she wasn't sitting by the fireplace I decided to look in the backyard.

Surely enough, there was Hestia practicing on her broomstick zooming through the air. It was a beautiful day and I plopped into a lawn chair to relax.

There was such a sense of peace as I was in the company of my best friend and the multitude of plants in the Jones' garden. One day I wanted to grow and nurture fixtures as beautiful as these. I had an affinity for plants but at home I was strictly instructed by Petunia to leave the gardening to her.

I wondered how Lily was fairing on her own with Petunia and winced just at the thought of it. No wonder she spent most of her time out of the house.

"Hey! How long have you been sitting here?" Snapping back to attention, I saw Hestia walking over to me with her broom slung over her shoulder and a wide grin. She was always the happiest when she was in the air.

I shrugged in answer, "Your parents got busy with prepping for the ball so I came looking for you a little bit ago."

She nodded and sat in the chair opposite of me.

"Well you won't believe what I just heard from Stephen," I looked at her questioningly, "Sirius had a big blowout with his parents and he left! I mean I knew they clashed a lot but I guess he had enough. I don't blame him though, they really are pieces of work, the whole family..."

I was left in a state of confusion, Sirius had what? Ran away? Was he okay?

"What do you mean he left? Left where? Where is he now?"

Hestia probably felt bombarded by so many questions but I was suddenly very worried.

"I probably should've explained better. Sometimes I forget you weren't born into this world," She continued, "You see the Black family is one of the oldest and therefore more respected Wizarding families. Are they deserving of that respect or title? A lot of people, including myself, would disagree. They hold old-fashioned beliefs; ones I can't get behind."

"Like what?" I questioned.

"Like how they hate Muggle-borns and want to get rid of them," she said with a grim face.

I remained speechless, not knowing what to say.

Hestia saw my obvious concern and rushed to further explain, "I was always taught blood status wasn't an indicator of a person's worth. Unfortunately, the Black's don't hold that same opinion. I don't want you to get the wrong idea though. Not all Pure-Bloods think like that, there's just some bad apples out there."

I absorbed all the information and my heart really went out to Black. It was obvious he didn't share the same morals or values as his family. He got along well with all sorts of people, I mean just last year he was dating Rima Radke, a Muggle-Born Hufflepuff. It didn't last long at all, as was the norm for Black's relationships. I'd never put much thought into the topic though.

The more I learned about Black, the more I found it difficult to dislike him. The years of tormenting my best friend brought me right back to dislike but it felt more out of obligation than anything else anymore.

Shaking my head, I continued on with my questioning, "You said they clashed a lot?"

Hestia went on to explain, "Word gets around quite quickly in this society. Especially when it comes to Pure-Bloods because what they most love to do is gossip. One person hears or sees something and suddenly it's everyone's business. It's pretty well known the fights Sirius got into with his parents. He's always been the black sheep of his family and his parents definitely let him know. On the flip side, Sirius also let them know just how wrong their ideology was and just where they could stick it," I smiled just thinking of Black because it was definitely something I could picture, "Anyway, I suppose he got sick of the constant fighting and decided he'd be better off with James."

"Potter?"

"The one and only. He really is a great friend to let Sirius move in just like that. I mean the whole Potter family is the best, it's why my parents get on so well with them." She stood up and I followed as we made our way back inside, "They can't wait to see them this weekend at the ball. I think dad'll show off all his new Muggle knowledge courtesy of you."

Oh, God. "The Potter's are coming? Does that mean... Black is too?"

I tried not to make my nerves obvious but I definitely sounded off.

Hestia gave me a probing look but just nodded her head in answer, "Yeah, they already RSVP'd."