chapter twenty-nine

1976

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Fourth Year

As the O.W.L's grew closer the fifth years scrambled to study. After the first attempt at helping Sirius failed I decided to leave him to his own devices. To my utter surprise he and Marlene became study partners. Every time I saw them giggling away in the Common Room I felt a hint of annoyance. For no reason other than I cared about his education. I didn't want him to end up a binman because he hadn't done well on his exams.

As of late, that wasn't the only time Marlene appeared. Sirius usually saved seats for me and Hestia at mealtime but when we got there Marlene was already right at his side. Even Pettigrew brought up the new seating arrangement.

"You got both of your girlfriends there, Pads. Must be nice!" he'd exclaimed snickering. The prat.

"I'm not his girlfriend, you prat!" I shouted right back and kicked him hard under the table for good measure. An agony filled yelp came from him.

Sirius just laughed it off and smoothly moved the conversation on. Looking back Marlene had not denied the girlfriend title and instead ducked her head to hide a blush. I tried not to read into it.

It wasn't that I disliked Marlene; she was one of Lily's best friends and had always been nice to me. We weren't the most familiar with each other; she was older and we ran in different circles but she'd never rubbed me the wrong way. Until now it seemed.

I couldn't really put my finger on it but my irritation grew each time she was around and I tried my best to squash it. I figured it'd be best if I just welcomed her with open arms.

This grew hard when one Saturday morning she showed up to Quidditch practice.

The season was over but a few of the players loved it so much they still had small weekly games. Sirius and Hestia basically begged me to come when they started but now I looked forward to them.

I was the only person who wasn't playing just watching. This was fine with me as I enjoyed the quiet and the crisp morning air. Lily came along a couple of times but Potter had pestered her endlessly. We all got quite the laugh out of it, especially when Lily got fed up and threatened to hex him.

After practice ended everyone had a high from flying and it rubbed off on me. Sirius always greeted me with a dopey smile on his face and came to sit closer than usual as we chatted. Then Hestia would show up ecstatically shouting, 'Did you see how many quaffles I hit?' or 'How many goals did I make? Must've been at least ten!'

It made me happy to see her in a good mood and passion burning in her eyes. I could definitely see her playing professionally in the future. If she did decide to pursue it I'd be there cheering her on at every game.

This particular Saturday me and Hestia were walking towards the pitch when I spotted Marlene sitting in the stands.

My shock must've been obvious because Hestia nudged me and said, "Don't look too excited."

I schooled my features but still had to ask, "Who invited her?"

"Prim, is that jealousy I hear?"

I turned to glare at my friend, "I'm not jealous. Why would I be jealous?"

Hestia laughed, "She's totally crushing on Sirius. Don't worry though he only has eyes for you. I'm sure he's only being nice."

"What?"

She explained, "I know we haven't talked about it but I see how you are with him. It's like how I am with Stephen. It's okay, you guys are cute together. Patricia even asked me if you two were official yet."

bloom • sirius black • marauders era | book one जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें