chapter twenty-eight

1976

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Fourth Year

Sirius and I grew inseparable after that fateful day. I'd needed a shoulder to cry on and he was somehow always there when I needed him. At the beginning of fourth year, I saw him only as a nuisance and a bully but he was growing to be a great friend and a source of comfort.

It was strange how much life had changed over the course of a year. Severus had been my best friend and object of my affections but now just a distant memory.
It was odd how easy it was to avoid him. I hardly ever ran into him and only ever really saw him from across the dining hall. I'd caught him looking at me but when I made eye contact he quickly looked away. This and the fact that he hadn't sought me out in the aftermath of everything told me he was as done with the friendship as I had finally grown to be. I suppose it was a good thing, but I couldn't deny it stung.

Lily learned to stop mentioning Severus as every time she did I shut down. It was less painful if I just didn't hear from him or about him. The only times she did bring him up was in bursts of frustration or anger.

Severus' friendships with the others in Slytherin was corrupting him as we'd suspected. According to Lily, he saw no wrong in their nasty jokes, ideologies, or pranks. He pulled out an excuse or rebuttal each time Lily tried to call out their behavior.

I felt terrible seeing Lily so upset and how hard she was trying to make their friendship work. Ever since I'd distanced myself their outings and chats slowed down. Severus grew busy with his Slytherin friends and doing God knows what while Lily juggled her Prefect duties and schoolwork. Even though I was no longer friends with Severus my worry grew too. I just hoped for his sake he wasn't getting wrapped up in anything sinister.

Walking down to the Quidditch pitch these thoughts swirled around in my head. They finally abated when I caught sight of Potter and Sirius. They had their heads ducked down and were discussing something in a rather serious tone.

Getting closer I heard some of their conversation.

"I told you it was a stupid idea, Padfoot. I hate the git too but it's not like I want him dead. And did you ever stop to think what might've happened to Moony? He'd be expelled or even worse thrown in Azkaban!"

"I didn't think it'd go that far, just wanted him to suffer a bit. He deserved it, the greasy-"

My presence must have been felt at that moment as the two whipped around and spotted me.

I smiled trying to break the tension their serious talk had created, "Hey, everything alright?"

Sirius smiled back, if a little forced, "Yeah, all good. Right, Prongs?" He nudged the boy next to him but Potter still looked frazzled.

"Let's hope it is," was the only answer he gave before he walked away into the locker rooms.

It was strange to see Potter so serious and I genuinely hoped everything was okay. The spats between Sirius and his friends were few and far between. Something big must've happened to warrant what I'd just seen.

"What was that about?" I asked when it was just the two of us. We stood on the field and I gestured for him to come sit over at the stands.

Sirius just shook his head, "Maybe it's better if you don't know."

"Now you have to tell me," I sat down waiting for him to start.

The long-haired boy rubbed at his neck which I'd come to find out was his nervous habit.

Finally, he said, "You see there's this nasty git that's done lots of harm to people I care about. All I did was make him pay for all the trouble he's caused but according to Prongs I might've gone too far."