Chapter 12- Friends and Serums

You were treating a severely injured soldier when you heard a loud howl causing you to cover your ears and wince against the pressure you felt in your eardrums

You were treating a severely injured soldier when you heard a loud howl causing you to cover your ears and wince against the pressure you felt in your eardrums. After a couple of seconds, complete silence followed the loud noise. Not a single sound was heard. What the hell happened? You mused, propping up the soldier against a wall and calling over another soldier to move him to a safer location.

You flew on your ODM gear to the top of a nearby bell tower, searching for the location of the howl from before. You gasped when you saw several corpses of soldiers crushed under rocks from the boulders that were thrown from a while ago. You briefly closed your eyes in a silent prayer for all the lives lost in this mission. You continued scanning the area, not seeing any titans nearby.

You moved from one rooftop to another looking for other wounded soldiers to help. You finally spotted several figures on a rooftop clustered together. You landed on the building they were standing at and approached them. You immediately noticed Levi's back facing towards you with Eren and Mikasa facing him, their blades pointed at their captain.

"Yo kids, I find him annoying as much as you do but you can't point your blades at your captain-" Your words drifted off seeing two bodies laying on the ground behind Mikasa and Eren. Your stomach dropped, recognizing one of the bodies. "E-erwin?" You shakily whispered.

"Move out of the way." You hear Levi ordering Mikasa and Eren. You moved from behind him and took steps towards Erwin and the other body. Mikasa and Eren shifted their blades towards you. You stopped, raising your arms in front of you.

"Don't touch (y/n), you brats." Levi said darkly. You tried to pacify the growing tension in the group. Placing a shaky hand on top of Levi's which was inching closer to his blade. "It's okay. Let me check their conditions first." You calmly said to Mikasa and Eren. Both gave slight nods never taking their eyes off their captain.

You approached Erwin's body first, immediately dropping to your knees and assessing the extent of his injuries. He was still breathing, but barely. His skin was pale and cold to the touch from the obvious loss of blood due to his wounds. Your sight went blurry from the tears threatening to spill from your eyes as you palpated your friend's thready pulse. You wiped your eyes and turned to the three. "Erwin's still alive. He's barely hanging on but he's alive." You informed them, your voice breaking. "I have to stabilize his condition immediately." You continued, swallowing back the tears.

You saw relief briefly wash over Levi's face. "Can you save him?" He asked, turning his attention away from Mikasa and Erwin towards you. You gulped. You glanced back at Erwin's injured face. He's your friend. And you are not about to lose him. You clenched your fists. "I'll do it. I'll save him." You replied determinedly.

You heard shuffling behind you and heard Levi telling Mikasa and Eren to give Armin the serum. You sighed finally realizing who the other body was. He was not better off than Erwin, in fact, he's in a worse condition with his entire body burnt. You have no idea what serum their referring to but if it manages to save Armin, it'll be a miracle. And a miracle is the only thing that can save the poor child.

You felt Levi kneeling beside you. "What do you need me to do?" You heard him say, his eyes staring at Erwin's closed ones. "I- I need bandages to pack his wounds. And fluids to replace his blood." You listed off supplies, your hands moving towards a large wound on Erwin's chest, putting pressure on it. Levi placed his palm on top of yours. "Okay. But we have to move him first. We'll be in danger once the kids give Armin the serum." Levi said pulling you up.

You were too absorbed with planning Erwin's treatment in your head, you didn't process what Levi said. You stood up and grabbed onto Erwin's waist helping Levi balance his limp body. The two of you struggled to carry Erwin's significantly taller body. You spotted a group of soldiers atop a roof nearby. You caught Levi's attention to get them to help move Erwin to the safe base over Wall Maria.

You and Levi safely managed to place Erwin on a piece of wood. Two cadets gently carried Erwin while you continued putting pressure on his wound. Levi and a couple other soldiers kept an eye out for nearby titans that might come your way.

After several minutes you manage to get Erwin over the wall and to the safe base. You immediately started to treat Erwin and replaced his blood loss with fluids you have on hand. After a couple of hours of treatment and flushing fluids, Erwin's pulse steadily became stronger and you released a sigh of relief.

"He's okay. Oh heavens, he's okay." You whispered. Clamping a hand over your mouth to stifle a sob. Levi wrapped an arm around your shoulder to comfort you. The worry and fear from losing your friend finally leaving your system, clearing your thoughts. You gently pushed Levi away and turned towards him. "Wait, what do you mean we'll be in danger once Armin gets the serum? What serum?" You asked Levi, confused.

A sudden explosion was heard from inside Wall Maria. Similar to the explosion that happens when Eren shifts to his titan form. Your eyes widen finally connecting things together. You grabbed Levi's coat, shaking his lean body. "WHAT WAS THAT SERUM YOU GAVE THE POOR BOY?!" You screamed.