Chapter 29- Secrets and Lies

"Why is it so fucking hot?" Seth complained as he wiped sweat from his forehead with the back of a hand. "Did we really have to do this today? Of all days?" He asked turning to you with a pout.

You laughed at your apprentice as the two of you walked through the streets under the scorching sun. You just finished collecting supplies for the mission and was on your way back to the base when a shoulder bumped into yours.

You turned to scold the person when you realized it was a face that has been bothering you ever since you met her. "Cadet." You greeted as Lizbeth Rosewood gave you a firm salute. A sweet smile on her face as her hand clutched onto a wooden luggage. "Going somewhere?" You asked raising your eyebrows suspiciously at her.

She gave a tinkering laugh in response. "I'm leaving." She lightly said. "I've already spoken with the Commander and the heads." She explained, tucking a loose hair behind her ear. Something doesn't feel right. You thought frowning.

"You're giving up so quickly?" You asked her, trying to gauge her intentions for leaving. Lizbeth blinked as a dainty hand covered her mouth in surprise. "Give up? Oh, no. Not at all!" She replied in a wispy voice. "We just changed our plans." A dangerous glint in her eyes.

Your hands clenched at the box you were holding. "What do you mean?" You asked through gritted teeth as you lightly glared at the woman in front of you. Would it be considered self-defense if I punched her in the face because she looks like a criminal? You thought to yourself. The woman's fake innocence is grating on your nerves.

"Let's just say, it's easier to weaken a fortress from the inside." She replied in a whisper. "A piece of advice, some things are better off kept in the dark. You keep my family's secret, and we'll keep yours." She said as she placed a hat over her fluttering hair. "Send my message to Captain Levi will you?"

You watched as the former cadet walked away and vanished down the street. "She's a minx of a bitch isn't she?" You hear Seth say beside you. You furrowed your brows trying to decipher what the woman just said as you and Seth continued to walk back to the base.

Seth kicked the doors of the infirmary open, both of his hands carrying boxes of supplies. You strolled in to find Levi leaning against a bedpost. He frowned as he watched you place the boxes on a table and stalked towards you with a dark gaze.

"Where the hell have you been?" He lethally whispered as he grabbed your wrist and pulled you towards him. Seth, being the clueless moron that he is, answered for you. "We collected the supplies we requested from the warehouse." Seth replied as you shook Levi's hand off your wrist and turned your back on him.

Levi clenched his jaw in frustration as he followed you around the infirmary. "You should tell me where you're going and what you're doing." He said as you started to separate the contents of the box you brought in. You scoffed. "Oh, you don't get to tell me what to do when you can't even tell me what the Rosewood bastards said to you." You lightly glared at him.

Levi refused to tell you what went on with his conversation with the Rosewood representatives. You knew Erwin must have heard what they talked about but you haven't seen him since that day. They are acting too suspicious and they want me to do nothing about it when it obviously has something to do with me?

Levi sighed as he wrapped his arms around your waist and hugged your from behind. "I'll tell you when I've confirmed what they said. Trust me." He whispered as he gave you a kiss on the cheek.

You slammed a pack of bandage on the table as you turned your head to look at your fiancé. "You have to promise me, okay? You said you'll carry my burdens with me and the same goes for your problems too. I'll bear them with you. So you have to tell me." You told him as you patted his head on your shoulder.

"Leader, can you stop with display of affection? Not everyone here is engaged and happy." You hear Seth reply as the other medics within the vicinity laughed. You chuckled, pulling away from Levi's embrace. "You heard what they said. Now go. I'm fine here." You told Levi, giving him a playful wink.

"Ah!" You exclaimed as you remembered what happened on your way back to the base. "I forgot to tell you. I bumped into the Rosewood girl in the streets. She said she's leaving. We spoke and-" You got cut off as Levi roughly grabbed you by the shoulders and turned you to face him.

"What did that bitch say to you?" Levi whispered darkly his eyes boring into yours in a heated gaze. You frowned. "She just said the Rosewoods would keep your secret if you kept theirs." You informed him with furrowed brows.

Levi relaxed his grip on your shoulders and let his hands trail down your arm to hold your hands in his. "I assume it has something to do with what you talked about." You murmured as you stared at Levi. "Is it because we know their motives? That they breed to create a perfect human? It's not exactly a crime. Its disgusting. But not illegal. Why do they need to keep it a secret?" You wondered.

"Hange said there was something weird with the records they've obtained." Levi explained, tracing a thumb across your knuckles. "The people who married into the family either end up dead or missing. They must be doing something illegal if they want the investigation to stop."

"Which begs the question, what secret do they hold over your head for you to agree with them?" You whispered with concern. Levi stared back at you. "I have to go talk to Erwin." Levi replied as he let your hand go and gave you a kiss on the forehead. "Just... trust me. And take care of yourself."

You stared at Levi's back as he walked out of the infirmary. I do trust you. I just hope you don't break it. You thought to yourself, turning your attention back to organizing the supplies. "Maybe he has cold feet. Having second thoughts about marriage?" You hear Seth say in a taunting voice.

You glared at him, grabbing a roll of bandage, and throwing it smack at his face. Seth screamed out in pain as you laughed. You tried to enjoy the rest of the day, working, and talking with the people you've come to know as your family. Pushing the Rosewood matter at the back of your mind.

I wish this peace would never end. You hoped. And of course, because the world is fucked up and you can't always get what you want, all hell broke loose.

A/N: Thank your for all the comments, votes, and support! Double chapter upload tomorrow! <3