part five

the one where things get chaotic.

part five

"I told you, banana milk is overrated."

Haechan gasps dramatically at her atrocious statement. "Are you even human?"

"I'm just saying that strawberry milk is superior." Juno shrugs with a smirk, well aware that she's only adding fuel to the fire here. "Banana sounds like it would be a lot better than it actually is, you know?"

"Oh I know, noona." Jisung nods seriously. "I know."

Juno flashes a finger heart at him, making him smile. She's only been sitting with them for about half an hour, and he's already her favourite. "See? Jisungie has taste."

"Kiss-up," Haechan pouts, looking to the others to back him up, but they're either engaged in their own conversation or watching this entire debate with expressions of amusement on their faces. "Banana milk is just as good as it sounds!" he protests. "Why do you think it's so much more popular?"

"What's popular isn't always what's best!" Juno says, banging a hand on the table to punctuate her point. "There's a difference between being iconic and being of truly impeccable quality."

"Hear, hear!" Chenle shouts.

"Well, banana milk is better because I say so." Haechan sits back, evidently having given up on arguing his side. "Case closed."

"That doesn't even make sense."

"Your face doesn't make sense," he retorts.

Her brows furrow. "That makes even less sense."

"Looks like you've finally managed to meet your match, Hyuck," Jaemin comments, lazily leaning back and taking a bite of the pancake on his plate. "She talks even more than you do."

"And she says to shut up, grandpa," Juno promptly rebuts, sending them into fits of chuckles. A little giggle on her other side catches her attention, and she turns her head to see Renjun smiling slightly. His cheeks pink when he notices her gaze, and he looks down at the table to avoid her eyes.

The laughing has drawn even more attention of the students around them, and Juno can feel numerous eyes on her. She leans over slightly to whisper into Jeno's ear. "Is this how much you guys get stared at every day? If so, I must give you credit for being able to stand it."

"I swear it isn't usually this bad," he whispers back. "Maybe it's because you're here?"

"And why on earth would they find me so interesting?"

"Because you're cute," he answers smoothly, and she elbows him in the side. Juno is slightly surprised by how comfortable she's managed to become in their presence - with the exception of the grumpy one, of course. And she's even more taken aback when she realizes that she wouldn't mind the chance to get to know them even better. Maybe.

"Aren't you gonna eat something?" The quiet voice pulls her from her thoughts, and she glances up to see Mark looking back at her. They're the first words he's spoken to her all morning, hence her amazement at the fact that he's even noticed that she doesn't have a plate in front of her like the others do.

"Oh, um." Juno realizes that, in the midst of all the chatter, she's actually forgotten to eat. And her stomach suddenly grumbles lowly, as if reiterating the fact that she probably should. But for some reason, she feels like getting up will leave her even more exposed to the gazes and whispers of her fellow students, leaving her feeling unnecessary trepidation about doing such a mundane thing. "I should, shouldn't I? But all their staring is making me nervous - I feel like someone's gonna shoot me or something if I get up," she says, only half-joking.