part sixty-nine

He hasn't come around.

Juno is leaving for New York today, earlier than intended to get settled in sooner. Now she's at the airport with an hour and half before it's time to board, and her group of friends have been keeping her company for as long as they can before she must go through security. One person is conspicuously missing.

"He's not replying to my texts." Chenle's brows furrow down at his phone.

"He's just being dramatic," Jaemin says, rolling his eyes.

"I'm sure he'll show up." Livi scooches closer to Juno and swings an arm around her, rubbing circles on her back. "Don't worry."

"And if he doesn't show up, he's gonna hear from me," Jeno says, jaw working.

"Cut him some slack, guys." Juno pushes the bell sleeves of her white sundress upward as she bends to check on Shawty in her pet carrier. The decision to take her cat to New York had been a strangely difficult one to make, but Juno wants at least one familiar face around. Besides, now that they've actually been spending more time together since getting back from school, she can't imagine leaving Shawty for an entire year. Thankfully, she was able to find a flight that accommodated small pets. "He has a right to be mad."

"No, he doesn't," Jisung mutters. "Does he think this is easy for you? For any of us?"

"It's not that he's mad," Renjun cuts in quietly. "I think he's sad. You guys are just getting comfortable in your relationship, and now you're leaving."

"Yeah, well, Ju wouldn't know because he hasn't talked to her," Mark scoffs.

"He won't ignore you forever." Livi shrugs. "This is no time to sulk. I know he'll be here."

"It's fine." Juno huffs out a breath as she straightens and adjusts her sunglasses on her head. "Let's talk about other things, like-"

They are interrupted when a pair of girls sidles up to their group, all bashful smiles and shy postures. "Hey, you guys are the Tangiso kids, right?"

"Yes," Chenle replies bluntly. "Why?"

"Oh, no. We just saw you from afar and started arguing about whether it really was you guys or not. It's cool to meet you here." Then one of them steps closer, giving Jeno a significant once-over. "And I was also wondering if I could get your number."

Jeno blanches. "Uh, sorry, this just isn't really a good time?"

"Ah, I see. Alright." The girl stands down immediately. "Well, we'll be right over there, just in case. See you guys around."

The minute they're gone, Juno sings, "Do you get deja vu?"

"Ugh, totally." Mark slumps against the wall. "I remember it was so bad back at school that we'd never want to walk with Jeno in the halls because he was always getting stopped to get confessed to by someone."

Jaemin chuckles. "He was strong and pretty. What's not to like?"

"You're saying I'm not strong and pretty now?" Jeno inquires.

"Yes," Jaemin responds.

Juno cocks a meaningful brow at Jeno. "Well, she was cute. You should go over."

"I'll pass," the boy says, sighing. "I'm not in the right frame of mind to date, so there really is no point."

Renjun side-eyes him. "You don't even want to try?"

"I have other things to focus on," Jeno says, but he avoids Renjun's gaze.

They chat for some time before Juno glances at her watch, swearing softly. "I think I should probably start heading through security soon."