part thirty-one

the one with too many questions and too little answers.

part thirty-one

Evil is but a point of view.

You've heard that before, and you think about it often. The idea that even a villain sees themselves as the hero of their own story. It's interesting to you, perspective. That two people can look at the same thing or situation and interpret it completely differently.

But it doesn't matter. Every single time you look in the mirror, you still see a psychopath. A lunatic. A nutcase. And every other synonym for those words - they describe you.

You embody them.

How pathetic do you have to be to be a villain in your own eyes? What does it say about you that you loathe yourself for who you are, but can't seem to ever stop being that person? Why does the grin on your lips as you step into the shadows juxtapose the hot, salty tears that cannot seem to stop running down your cheeks?

Psycho, the voices whisper. You agree.

The small apartment room is just enough for you. You sink into the lumpy old couch and switch on the barely-functioning television, and the news channel that has become virtually all you ever view fills the screen. Ah, it seems like they have finally stumbled upon your work.

You smile.

Everybody is so confused. None of them understand what is taking place, or why it is happening. You have them all thoroughly befuddled.

It's satisfying.

This last one you were quite proud of; one of your cleanest jobs yet. A masterpiece, really. You have perfected the art of never, ever, leaving a trace; so much so that covering up your tracks has become second nature. Of course, you are all too aware that your frightening capability is through no effort of your own. The thought makes you scowl.

Then a sigh escapes your lips, and you lay back in the sofa to stare at the ceiling. Water stains and other unidentifiable marks mottle it, but you hardly notice. You're getting bored. Perhaps it is time for you to just turn yourself in?

You smirk. No, maybe later. You'll give everybody some time to catch up first. And they will, hopefully. Because finally, finally, the attention is all on you.

You whisper the vow you have repeated many times before to yourself. It is important to keep your eyes fixed on the goal; to never forget what has practically become your raison d'être. Visibility is growing. And you know what that means: soon, you will find them.

And then it will all be over.

"Aren't you coming?"

Juno shakes her head, ponytail swinging. "You guys can go ahead. I want to stay back and ask questions." An extra ten minutes has been added to the assembly for students to pose any inquiries that they might have. Juno doesn't feel that it's nearly enough; there is so much that she would like answers to.

But she isn't too sure that they will all be given to her.

"Then we'll go with you," Jeno tells her, looking to Mark for confirmation. The other boy nods, and they make their way up to the front. Most students are clearing out of the auditorium, but a handful hang back to start filling the seats at the very front to begin asking questions. They don't catch sight of any of their friends, but Jeno shoots a quick message to the chat letting them know to meet up afterwards.

Juno sits and the two boys settle down on her either side. Soon enough, the question session has begun. People ask about everything from the joint funeral to future events. But it's as if everyone is skirting around various elephants in the room.