part twenty-six

the one where they finally make up.

part twenty-six

"Okay, spit it out. What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Why?"

Jeno angles his head up to look up at her from where it's laying in her lap. Juno stares back at him coolly, determined to seem unaffected despite the fact that it currently feels like someone is doing somersaults in her stomach. When he'd first stretched out onto the bed and laid his head on her thighs, she'd nearly dropped their Korean class assigned reading novel on his face. Since then, her senses seemed heightened to be painfully aware of every time he shifted or moved, which would send a brand new flutter through her chest.

Having a crush is so humiliating. She hates it.

Jeno cocks a brow, setting down his own copy of the book. "Don't bullshit me, you've been... off all day."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Juno retorts stubbornly.

But he continues to hold her gaze and eventually she sighs, resolve finally weakening at his own stubbornness. He isn't wrong. Ever since she'd come across those notes under her carpet days ago, her head had been full of them, the words on them playing on repeat, even appearing in her dreams from time to time. Also, perhaps Haechan's comments earlier had done more to rattle her than she would like to admit.

Finally she speaks, deciding in favor of a half-truth. Juno chooses to mention just the second inducer of her anxiety for now - she'll show all her friends the notes soon enough. "Well, Haechan..."

Jeno sighs at that . "What did he do?"

"He basically told me to stop being an attention whore and leave you guys alone," she blurts. Because even if he'd said it just to be an ass, what if people actually see it that way? "I don't know, I just don't want anyone to think I have an ulterior motives for getting close with you guys. I would hate for it to come across like I'm just trying to flirt my way through-"

"Firstly," Jeno cuts her off, holding up one finger. "You shouldn't give a shit about what any losers decide to think, even if one of those losers is Haechan."

"But-"

"Also what ulterior motive?" Jeno rolls his eyes. "If whoever can't get past you being friends with us, that's their problem. It's no one else's concern. Just because there's a great majority of people who are into us doesn't mean you also are." He pauses. "I didn't mean for that to sound as narcissistic as it did."

Juno doesn't think he could be even if he tried. "I know," she laughs.

"Anyway, don't even think about it anymore." He pauses, giving her an angelic smile. "Okay?" In the face of that, all she can really do in response is nod. Jeno gets up then, and Juno immediately misses the warmth in her lap. "I'll be right back."

"Wait, where are you going?"

"Oh." Jeno gives her a smile that, this time, is not reassuring in the least. "I'm just gonna have a little chat with Donghyuck."

Juno purses her lips. "Alright." Should she be concerned?

"Oh, also." Jeno turns around from where he is near the door and strides back to where she's sitting, leaning down so that they're eye-to-eye. Juno's breath hitches at his proximity, recoiling slightly as he draws close. "I don't mind if you flirt with me. Just so you know."

Oh.

Suddenly, the door swings open. "Am I interrupting something?" Jaemin enters the room, raising a brow at the two.