part forty-nine

the one in the closet.

part forty-nine

b. juno: SUNSHINE HELP

l. donghyuck: what

b. juno: YOU GOTTA HELP ME OUT

l. donghyuck: ...

l. donghyuck: where are you

b. juno: DR OH'S OFFICE, I'M HIDING UNDER HIS DESK

b. juno: NOW DELETE THAT BEFORE THEY SEE

[message deleted]

l. donghyuck: WHAT???? TF ARE YOU DOING THERE

l. donghyuck: YOU'RE SUPPOSED BE IN CHENLE'S DORM RN

b. juno: well i'm not

b. juno: and now I'M TRAPPED

l. donghyuck: omg...

l. donghyuck: just wait there i'm omw

l. donghyuck: BUT TF DO YOU WANT ME TO DO THO

b. juno: IDK??! DANCE THE FVCKIN SALSA FOR ALL I CARE JUST PLS CAUSE A DISTRACTION OR SOMETHING SO I CAN GET OUTTA HERE

l. donghyuck: OKAY fine i'll come up w something

l. donghyuck: IN THE MEANTIME DON'T GET CAUGHT OR ISTG

b. juno: I'LL TRY

"We are getting closer, you know. It is only a matter of time."

"Yes, sir, but..." It's the first time Juno senses a note of anything other than forced indifference in Headmaster Hak's voice. "I've just been wondering what you're planning to do, after. With the children. Will the school simply cease to exist?"

"Probably. The kids will be the most useless part of this entire equation once we have reached our goal."

"Right." But the Headmaster still sounds uncertain.

"I might end up introducing it to the world. Imagine how much it will shock everyone." Dr. Oh is contemplative. "And I have little time left, anyway. So I don't much care."

"But you won't, once we have the-"

"Do not use it on me." The old man's tone is sharp. "If we succeed, I want it far, far away."

"Then why are you-"

"I've lived. They didn't."

"Right. Of course, sir."

Under the table, Juno makes a face. What they're talking about doesn't make sense to her, and yet she feels like it's incredibly important.

The Headmaster leaves not too long after that. But Juno sees Dr. Oh relax even further into his chair. Is he ever going to leave? Why is he even here to begin with?

Just when she's beginning to think about spending the night under the desk, the intercom phone rings with a pager from the one of the office secretaries. "Doctor? If you're available, there are a few students waiting inside the gymnasium. They wish to ask you a few questions."

There's a pause on Dr. Oh's end. "Questions?" Then he sighs. "Is it that troublemaker with the purple hair again?"

"Uh... no, sir, I don't think so."

"Okay, well, tell them to wait there." Juno holds her breath, listening to make sure he's finally left the room. Then she exhales, beginning to unfold herself out from under the table.