part sixty-four

the one in the city.

part sixty-four

They spend all night talking, cocooned in each others' arms, letting the minutes bleed slowly into hours as dawn begins to break. But as the first shards of sunlight crack through the clouds, they bring with them a reminder of what is to come. Reality sets in, and Juno and Haechan must decide how they will go about their business.

"The train ride's hardly an hour," Haechan is saying, stroking Shawty softly as he tilts the phone screen toward Juno so she can look at the map. But Juno has never really understood maps, so all she can do is stare until it starts making sense.

It doesn't. "Which police station are we going to?" she asks. "And do we have enough money for taxis?"

Haechan nods. "Yang gave us more than enough, but we still need to know where to go." He points to a spot on the map. "Renjun's sister is a cop with Jeno's brother here, in the headquarters of Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency."

Juno's brows rise. "But that's a huge important building. I don't know if we can just walk in and demand to speak with two officers."

"Well, it's our best bet. And I'd say our case is pretty important."

"I hope they think so," Juno sighs.

"They will," Haechan says confidently, but he can't help wondering if they'd have been better off just letting things run their course, if they'd just allowed the administration do what they want and left quietly without any of their previous memories. No, no way. "I can't imagine ever forgetting about you," he blurts.

Juno's eyes widen at their similar trains of thought. "Yeah. There's been so much rain in the last ten months, but there was also sunshine, if you catch my drift." She laughs; he rolls his eyes, but his cheeks pink.

They tune into sudden commotion from outside, and after listening for a while, it becomes apparent that the ferry has reached the docks. They exchange a glance. It's time to leave. In the light of day and with many more people present, it'll be more difficult to sneak out than it was to sneak in.

"Is it bad that I miss my flair?" Juno whispers.

"No," Haechan whispers back, looking out through the little window of their compartment. "I do, too. It's like I've lost a limb that'd be very useful right now." Haechan reaches for the knob to the little enclosed compartment they're squeezed into.

"I say we just make a run for it," Juno says.

"That's a shit plan," Haechan says.

"You didn't listen either when we got stuck in the old man's office back at school, and look what happened."

"I also had my flair back then," he retorts.

"That doesn't make a difference," Juno scoffs.

"It makes a huge difference!" Haechan gesticulates wildly with exasperation. "Look, we need to be careful with this, otherwise we'd have traveled all this way for nothing."

"I respectfully disagree."

"I respectfully don't care." He gives her a look. "Listen, we have to come up with a proper plan before-"

Juno leans up suddenly and pecks his lips.

Haechan freezes, mouth opening then closing then opening then closing. "You can't just kiss me to shut me up!"

"Why not?" she asks.

He opens his mouth to reply, but nothing comes out. Finally, he just slumps back against the wall. "Fine. We'll do it your way," he pouts.