part sixty-five

the one with an end to it all.

part sixty-five

There is complete and utter silence.

Haechan and Juno stare across the table at Taeyong and Yiran, having just finished relating the entire sordid tale of their time at Tangiso. The two cops have absolutely flabbergasted expressions on their faces, and for a very long moment, nobody really knows what to say.

Taeyong is the first to break the silence. He leans forward, brows drawn together. "Is all of this true?"

Juno nods firmly in reply. "All of it."

Taeyong leans back. His logical side is telling him not to believe what they're saying. In what world does this even happen? In what world are teenagers are sent to a boarding school to develop superhuman powers that are tested in order to provide a possible death cure? In what world does one man possess so much money that such a venture is able to keep running for years?

In what world does this kind of establishment stay unchecked for so long?

Or maybe Taeyong simply has too much faith in a flawed system. He glances over at Yiran and sees his own inner turmoil reflected on her features: wanting to believe, but not knowing how.

"And Na Jaeyoon is there as we speak?" she asks now.

"Yes." Haechan nods. "He was captured by the school's administration a few weeks ago, so that he didn't draw any more police attention."

"Too late for that," Taeyong mutters, and Yiran nods. Then an idea pops into his head randomly, almost knocking him clean off his chair. "Wait. You said that this old man's daughter and granddaughter died on the same night? And then he took their bodies to freeze them?"

Juno and Haechan nod, and Yiran looks over at Taeyong, wondering where he's going with this.

"Well, it checks out," he begins. "If they died in a car accident many years ago..." He turns to Yiran. "Remember that case Jaehyun showed us? The one where the bodies disappeared."

Yiran's eyes widen, realizing. "That was them? But that was thirty years ago."

Juno glances over at Haechan. "Yang said everything started about thirty years back, didn't she?" Haechan nods.

"So that's true." Taeyong's jaw works as he thinks. This outrageous story is starting to look more and more accurate; after all, these kids before him are living proof, aren't they? "Wait, I'm sorry. You guys had powers?"

"Yes. All the students did; that's why we were there," Haechan answers.

"So I was... right?" Yiran whispers, but even she looks to be in disbelief.

"Look," Juno begins again, resting her palm atop the table. "If you don't know what to make of any of this, we don't blame you. But we're running out of time. As we speak, everyone is getting evacuated right now except the teachers, and it's only a matter of time before they find out. There is no telling what will happen, so we need to get everyone out of there as soon as possible."

"And the serial killer you've been hunting down for months is also there," Haechan adds. "So are your siblings. Please come with us, if for no other reason than that."

"He's right, you know," Yiran tells Taeyong then. "Even if it's all some exaggerated story, we can't not check it out."

There is tense silence for a few moments.

Then Taeyong picks up the phone to make a call. "We'll go over there," he says, looking Haechan straight in the eye, "but the two of you had better be sure that this is all true."