part eighteen

the one with a freaky story.

part eighteen

"What are you looking at?"

Haechan narrows his eyes at all the students staring, wide-eyed, at the spectacle that just took place. At his snarled question they avert their eyes, going back to their previous conversations even though Juno can still feel their acute attention on her even as she walks back.

"Where did that come from?" Jeno's brows furrow as the girl angrily takes the last seat at their table beside him, an angry frown on her face. Her chest is having slightly and her fists are clenched, knuckles white.

"Noona, you were so cool!" Jisung's nose scrunches up cutely. "And a little scary, not gonna lie."

All of Juno's anger dissolves in the face of his cuteness, and she can't help but shoot him a small smile. It fades with the memory of what just happened. "She's just been such a bitch to me all week and I finally snapped... Now I feel kinda bad."

"You shouldn't. I'm glad you finally put her in her place," Jaemin says, watching the girl carefully. "Ever since Jihyi and now Jaesu died, she's been relentless."

"Yeah, well." Juno sighs. "Now she's gonna give me even more hell."

Jeno's eyes stay on her for a bit, then move away. "I can only imagine how Livi would be feeling after losing two of her closest friends, but it gives no excuse for the way she's treated you." He glances at Juno again. "And it doesn't justify her bullying others, either. She's become just an all-around terrible person, so I'm sure a lot of people are grateful that you stood up to her."

"She can't be that bad," Juno says lightly. "You guys were together for a while, weren't you?"

Everyone freezes. Their eyes slide over to Jeno, who's also stopped eating. Juno keeps her gaze fixed down at the table, and there's a long pause in which no one speaks. Their reactions show the girl that the breakup must've been much worse than she'd assumed.

Finally, Jeno clears his throat. "I ended things with her because she was becoming a very different person from who she was when we first started dating. That's all."

Juno says nothing. Chenle nervously changes the subject, and soon the uncomfortable conversation is mostly forgotten.

Juno hears them continue speaking, but is barely listening. Tears start to push at the corners of her eyes, and she ducks her head to hide them. It's like everything comes crashing down at once; she feels like she's finally about to break down after the emotional and physical stress of what has almost been a month since she got here.

She's just tired. So freaking tired.

Her inner turmoil seems to escape the others, who are engaged in some animated discussion. So she startles when she feels a gentle touch on her hand, which is resting on top of the table. Mark, sitting on her other side, leans over to whisper in her ear. "Juju. You okay?"

Despite herself, Juno grins at the nickname he's started using for her. She complains about it but deep down, he knows she secretly doesn't mind. Her answer to his question comes in such a soft tone that he almost doesn't catch her words. "Not right now, but I'll be fine," she replies honestly, praying that ends up being the truth. "And what did I tell you about calling me that?"

"To do it more because you love it so much," is his cheeky answer, knowing full well that she'd told him the exact opposite.

Juno rolls her eyes, already feeling better. "Okay, Markaroni."