part thirteen

⇉ the one with the first library study session.

part thirteen

"You do understand what no means, don't you?"

It's Lee Haechan. 

The asshole who'd been bothering Juno steps back, evidently cowed by the boy's presence. "Haechan!" he exclaims, sputtering like an idiot. It's interesting to Juno that he was the cockiest fool on the planet just seconds ago, but has now turned into a bumbling mess at the appearance of someone apparently more powerful than him, and a guy, no less.

It irritates her. Status shouldn't be what determines whether people respect each other.

Haechan's voice is smooth and unfeeling as he jerks his head in the direction of the next hallway. "Leave."

And after one more beat, the boy does as told. But he shoots Juno one last poisonous glare before turning on his heels and stalking away. Juno gets the distinct feeling that this is far from over.

"Sun Dano's trouble," Haechan warns as he turns to her. "He's hit on practically every girl in this school, maybe even done worse than that to some of them. You should stay away."

"Right," Juno mutters absently, in thought. Haechan eyes her but says nothing as he turns his back on her. He's already a few steps away when she calls out to him. "Hey."

Juno recalls first meeting Haechan, immediately envious of his effervescent amiability and friendliness. She remembers him showing her around the school, explaining everything in great detail back when she was so confused by it all. "Thanks for stepping in," she says sincerely, even if she would like to think that she wouldn't have needed him to.

He turns back around. "It's not about you. Dano's just a gross sleazeball."

She cocks her head, choosing to act like he hasn't spoken. "Do you mind bringing Nice Haechan back?" she asks, and he raises a brow. "I liked him a lot better."

He shrugs. "I can't be nice if I've decided don't vibe with you."

"And why did you draw that conclusion?"

"You seem... like a troublemaker," he begins, and she chuckles a little. "The type to bring drama everywhere. And, I don't know, the other guys may have been quick to trust you, but I just think there's something off about you."

"Ah, I see."

Haechan furrows his brows. "That's it?"

Now Juno shrugs. "I mean, it's unfortunate that you don't like me," she says. "But it's nothing new. Besides, I have to grow on most people. I'm sure you'll get better soon." She says it like he's been infected with the terrible disease of disliking her.

He scoffs at her confidence. "Is that so?"

Juno nods. And this time, it's her who starts walking away first. "See you around." She wiggles her fingers at him and leaves.

Haechan stares after her, wondering if maybe, just maybe, he's judged her wrongly.

No, probably not.

It doesn't matter how much Renjun's friends tease him about it; reading will forever be his favorite hobby - not even sketching comes close. He reads for himself, by himself; he can escape to whole other worlds that don't have any of the worries or concerns his own does. What's not to love?

"Boo!"

Renjun startles, practically jumping out of his skin. He turns around to see Juno giggling into her hands, looking immensely pleased with himself. "Hilarious," he drawls, but the corners of his lips twitch with amusement.