Chapter 23

Kakashi came in early the next day to check in on Obito but to his surprise, he found him already awake and ready to leave.

"Where are you going?" Kakashi asks him walking through the door.

"Home. Enough of this hospital business, I don't need people pitying me."

"Pitying? More like making you a hero. Rin told everyone how you fought for her and how brave you were."

"She what?" Obito exclaims angrily. "Why can't she keep her annoying mouth closed for once?" He mutters through gritted teeth.

"So you have made your choice, I see."

"Kakashi.."

"Let's just go home." Kakashi keeps the door open for Obito to walk through. After completing the formalities at the hospital desk, they both drive back home in their respective cars.

"You alright?" Kakashi sees him wincing while getting out of his car in the parking lot of their apartment building. His knuckles still hurt and so did his ears.

"Yes, never better," he grins at him sarcastically.

Coming up to their apartment, Obito spreads out on the couch, stretching.

"That motherfucker hits too hard," Obito sighs, cracking his neck. He looks at Kakashi, and they both burst out laughing.

"What was I thinking?" Obito laughs.

"Yeah, what were you thinking? What are you thinking?" Kakashi joins him on the couch, throwing Obito's legs off the couch to make place for him.

"Sometimes everything feels so easy, sometimes it feels like nothing would be alright again, you know?" Obito says a little sadly.

"Hmm" Kakashi agrees, and they both stare off in the distance for a minute, their attention brought back to the present by Obito's phone buzzing.

"Hey babe," he says instinctively, but Kakashi doesn't miss his eyebrows furrowing.

"No, don't come over, I am tired. I want to rest."

"Oh!" he says and looks at Kakashi.

Slowly walking to the door, he opens it.

"Welcome back!!!!" Rin screams and puts her arms around him. With her were Asuma, Kurenai, Guy, and a few of her friends that he had come to know in recent times. Basically, a party, an unwanted one.

"I thought you deserved a great coming home party, baby. For standing up for me so bravely," she continues in a honeyed voice.

"I was there for barely 12 hours," Obito says, looking at her.

"But it meant a lot to me when you did that. Can't I appreciate my boyfriend?" Giving a fake pout, she looks at him. Giving in, he forces a fake smile, and she plants a kiss on his cheek before moving towards Kakashi to greet him.

Everyone smiles politely at Obito, and Guy tells him about how he should've used the power of his youth to beat Hidan while Asuma made fun of his still somewhat swollen face.

Obito wasn't sure how she had managed to gather everyone in the morning, but after a couple of hours, awkward teasing, and some pizzas later, they all finally left.

Holding Obito's hand, Rin takes him to his bedroom and closes the door behind them. Making him sit on his bed, she sits in his lap, straddling him.

"I am sorry," she says, hugging him.

"What for?"

"For last night. And everything."

Obito takes a minute to answer. He wasn't sure what she was sorry for, he wasn't sure if even she knew what she was sorry for. All the sorrys and love yous felt like empty words.