5. Captus

2017

I rolled on my bed and checked the digital clock. Two white dots flashing as the numbers read 5:45 am. I was fifteen minutes early for my Saturday morning workout. I removed the blanket and the cold air quickly seeped into my shirtless body.

I pushed the gray curtains to the sides and the outside was as gray as my covers. Far away, I could see the sun rays but it was still shy and was hiding behind the grayish orange clouds. Grabbing the band and tying my hair, I smiled to welcome the morning. I took a gulp of cold water from my small fridge. Enough to wake up my still resting muscles.

After wearing my jogging clothes, and my camera hanging around my neck, I took a jog at the nearby park. I love the wind blowing against my sweaty face. It was soothing. And the smell of spring lifted my spirit. Fresh greens and flowers blooming around, it was amazing.

I could already see my best friend, Taehyung, seating on one of the benches, and puffing white deadly smoke. His head turned to me and he quickly threw away the stick, waving his camera at me.

"Good morning!" He greeted, standing up to jog with me.

"Too early to kill yourself," I teased. I never once approved him smoking.

He snickered. "I won't let you breathe a smoke."

Shaking my head, I stopped as I saw a bird washing its feather on the pond. "But I can still smell it from your shirt. The third hand smoker is real, I guess? " I said as I took a shot of the bird. After checking if the shot was, well, we just walked around.

"How's work? Haven't seen you around. You even denied my invitation to the party. Getting serious? " The sound of the camera clicking followed. Taehyung was right, we haven't seen each other in a while.

"I just came home from France for a business trip. I am on leave until Tuesday. I'll be busier on the next coming days," I explained as I captured more pictures.

"Adulting, I can't relate," Taehyung joked as he followed my path and captured photos.

Photography was one of our favorite past time. It was my hobby and Taehyung  got interested after I showed him my private show room. I always made sure to have a day or two to wander around a country I had been to to capture photos. And I would have the most interesting ones framed and hanged in my private show room.

I saw a high-end car parked nearby. It wasn't because I haven't seen one, I actually owned some. But the angle and where the owner parked it was the one that caught my interest, so I took several shots. I would review and delete some as soon as I got home.

I moved my camera, clicking when I saw something nice, it panned over a male standing under a cherry blossom tree. I took some pictures and reviewed immediately.

I zoomed in to take a closer look and my heart was captured immediately, like the photo I just took. The cherry blossom flowers could not be compared to the beauty of the man standing under it.

Raising it again and holding it back to my eye with the intention of capturing more photos of him, disappointment crept in as he wasn't there anymore. I panned some more and as if my reflexes betraying me, my finger unconsciously pressed the button, probably in disappointment.

I mistakenly captured a heart break.

My heartbreak.

The most handsome man I've ever seen was already taken.

Present

Taehyung scratched the back of his neck as he watched me stared at my favorite picture amongst the lots hanging on the wall. It was a simple picture of a man standing under the cherry blossom tree. It's been three years since I took that photo and I still could not get over that moment. Should I say, that particular photo captured my heart?