39. Surprises

Jin was slowly getting overwhelmed. 'Trust me,' "Trust Attorney Lee. 'He is the best lawyer for custody cases.' Those words remained words to him, especially the word trust. He was mulling over giving his complete faith to anyone. It wasn't because he didn't trust his lawyer but because of the fear of hoping and then losing in the end. Perhaps, it was more of trusting himself, his decisions, his choices. He was scared to be left behind with nothing. Seeing how his lawyer and Jungkook worked closely to give him the best defense made him reevaluate the word trust. And possibly, to believe its meaning.

He learned that most custody cases don't need a lawyer. A settlement is the fastest way. But Namjoon wasn't a fair player. Namjoon had already deceived him and took advantage of his vulnerability. A settlement wouldn't work. The reason he opted for a lawyer and why it all became complicated.

It was now his turn to prove that he could raise his son while trying to avoid speaking ill about the other parent. Was he mentally stable? Financially able? Was he really a great father? Or a failure? Could he prove that the issues thrown at him were just accusations? Was he really a responsible father? Questions that could make or break his chance. But as one of the witnesses gave his statement, Jin didn't know if talking badly about Namjoon was avoidable.

He gave me money to kick Mr. Seokjin out.

He. 'He' referred to Hoseok. Of course, Hoseok couldn't do that alone. Jin was sure the financer was none other than Namjoon. The building manager of the Goshiwon he once stayed at pointed at Hoseok as the one who conspired to kick him out. He thought he was already broken, but he didn't expect he could break more.

He was trying to avoid dragging Jungkook into his mess. He hated that his parents were there and finally had the full view of what he was going through. And they weren't aware that he was living in Jungkook's apartment. But Namjoon hauled Jungkook, citing in the previous hearing that Jin was using Jungkook to prove he couldn't rent a decent apartment to house his son. And that he needed someone else to provide for him.

Trust your lawyer. It was screaming more in his head. His lawyer established a point-- my client's salary as Mr. Jeon's assistant is enough to rent an apartment, pay his bills, and bring food to the table. What Mr. Namjoon's wanted was baseless. He couldn't withhold my client's right to visit his son just because he couldn't support him.

Jin kept on glancing at the judge, who remained unreadable. And the next witness earned collective gasps from the people in the room.

Mr. Kim Namjoon's new partner, Mr. Jung Hoseok.

Jin was as shocked as Namjoon. But Namjoon's face was full of rage, while Jin was visibly confused. Hoseok testifying for him wasn't foreseen. He had to clutch his chest as his breathing started to skip. He felt a hand slipped from the back. A gentle squeeze on his waist somehow sent a comforting feeling. It was Jungkook's.

"Wow! Hoseok really took a Masters's Degree in Betrayal, and he impressively nailed it!" Jin overheard Jimin say, and then a shush, probably from Yoongi.

Jin felt like he was in a large room, seated on the opposite side of a long rectangular table, face to face with Hoseok- while Hoseok was narrating what happened.

We were hooking up even before his marriage.

I was pregnant before their wedding. It was his idea for me not to continue with the pregnancy.

It was planned. Namjoon had to make it appear that Jin was an irresponsible husband and father to support his decision for a divorce.

I followed him to the bus stop and brought him to Goshiwon. It was near my place. So I could monitor his movements. It was Namjoon and my idea.