22. Beginning

Jin stared at the stew on the stove, waiting for it to boil. He was tapping his fingers on the counter as he doesn't know how to start a conversation with his boss who was busy using his mobile phone.

"Do you wait there for it to boil? Why don't you take a seat?"

As soon as he heard his boss speaks, his heart makes a hard thump under his chest. Forcing a smile, he turned to sit on the nearest chair. "I am used to doing something else while cooking. But ever since I live alone, I'm just watching whatever I am cooking."

Jungkook eyed his assistant. This is the reason why he doesn't want to stay. He can tell by Jin's body language that he is not comfortable with him around. Possibly, intimidated. "I know office work is hectic at times and is very different but I am aware that housework also takes a lot of energy. It must be tiring for you to do a lot of things at the same time at home especially since you have a child to tend to."

"It might sound unbelievable but I enjoyed it. It was a routine for me back then. Doing laundry while waiting for the food to cook or while taking care of my son."

"You didn't have a helper before?"

Jin sighed and smiled shyly. "My ex-husband didn't like someone else in our home."

Jungkook gave a small nod. "How old is your son?"

"Three, going four."

"What's his name?"

Jin swallowed the lump in his throat before answering the question. "S-sunghoon."

"Cute name."

Jin smiled but his eyes glistened. He couldn't cry. Not because he's shy but because he doesn't have the strength to cry again. "Thank you. He is as cute as his name."

"I'm sure he is." Jungkook gave a small smile trying to catch Jin's gaze. "Are you eating well? I think you lose weight."

Jin looked at his arms and then his stomach, "I did?"

"You've been working for me for the past six-seven months. It's not that you lose a lot, but you look a lot thinner than when you first came to the office. Are you eating well?"

Jin bit his lips as he doesn't know how to answer the question. He thinks he's eating well. Looking at his fingers, Jin responds, "I am eating well. Maybe because of a lack of sleep. I know it's been so many months now but I'm still having a hard time sleeping at night. I always wake up in the wee hours of the morning.  It feels lonely at times."

Jungkook keeps on staring at Jin during the conversation as Jin tries to do the opposite. He's trying to avoid Jungkook's eyes. "You can invite your parents to come over. You don't need to ask for my permission. They can stay if they want to."

At last, Jin shifted his gaze to Jungkook who was smiling encouragingly at him. "Thank you for being so understanding, Mr. Jeon. My parents are in the province. They are running an eatery. My mom visits from time to time."

"That's nice to hear. How about your father?"

Jin smiled shyly. "It's quite pricey for them to travel together all the time. But my dad visits at least once a year. My mom at least twice. But she often goes back in the afternoon. It's tiring for her. Apart from that, they don't want to leave the eatery closed. Oh! It's boiling."

Jungkook watched as Jin prepared the table. Not liking that he was just sitting down, he stood up to get water from the fridge and a can of beer for himself. Settling down, Jin scooped a serving of kimchi stew for him. "Wait. I'll prepare the food you brought."

Jin stood up again to get the bag he placed on the kitchen counter. As he prepare the containers, he suddenly paused as he noticed the name of the restaurant where Jungkook bought the food. It was the same as the one he has been receiving from an unknown sender. Looking at the container and then at Jungkook, "D-do you always eat here?"