40. Officially

Jin's body trembled as he stared at the little boy who just addressed him as Appa. His eyes started to well up with tears. He honestly thought he was dreaming until Namjoon broke the silence, "I'll leave now before I change my mind. This is his luggage."

Namjoon turned his back and walked toward the elevator. Attorney Lee patted Jin's shoulder before walking after Namjoon.

"Appa?" Sunghoon called out again, and that was when Jin lost it. He kneeled on the floor and pulled his son in his arms. He wanted to cry out loud, but he didn't want to scare his son, so he just let the tears fall as he embraced his son tightly.

Jin, with his chin resting on his palm, watched as his son ate the chicken Jungkook bought earlier. As he pondered the words Jungkook uttered before leaving and the appearance of Attorney Lee together with Namjoon, he knew his boyfriend had something to do with his son being there with him.

Still, he couldn't believe Sunghoon was there. He was even scared to blink, worried that his son might disappear in a matter of seconds. He was thinking of not sleeping because if he was dreaming, he sure didn't want to wake up. He had been dreaming of this day for over a year. He already missed one of his son's birthdays and his many firsts. His next birthday was fast approaching. He had so many regrets and what-ifs, but those were over. He didn't want to dwell on those things and instead cherish the present and move forward to the beautiful days ahead.

After taking a bite of the chicken five minutes ago, nothing followed. He was so consumed with observing his son, whom his friends referred to as his clone. He didn't know if he should be glad, but he was. Indeed, his son grew up. After a year of not being with him, Sunghoon grew taller. His cheeks were as chubby as before. His voice was cuter as he spoke his words. He remembered what Hoseok said in his testimony. Sunghoon could express himself well. His words were clearer. It's a bit advanced for an almost five-year-old child.

"Did you miss me, Hoonie?" Jin asked softly, his eyes never leaving his son.

Sunghoon nodded, cheeks puffed out with the food he was still chewing. "Yes, Appa. Hoonie missed you."

Jin felt a lump in his throat. He gathered himself together so as not to break down. "I miss you so much. You grew up so well. I'm sorry Appa wasn't there, but I'm happy you're here now."

Sunghoon smiled. Dimples on the corner of his mouth flashed at him, "Hoonie is happy too, Appa."

"Do you like the chicken?"

Sunghoon nodded enthusiastically.

"What do you want for breakfast? Appa will cook whatever you want."

Sunghoon looked at the ceiling in deep thought before responding, "Can Hoonie eat bacon and egg with cheese, Appa?"

"Bacon and egg with cheese for breakfast for my baby."

Sunghoon's face lit up immediately. "Yes! Thank you, Appa!"

As Jin prepared his son for a bath, Jin glanced at his son, who was removing his clothes even without instruction. Jin smiled. "Who's bathing you there, sweetie?"

"Hoonie. Sometimes, Jane."

"Who is Jane?"

"Hoonie's nanny. But only sometimes. Hoonie always bathes himself. Appa wants Hoonie to be indedent, right?"

Jin chuckled, hearing the baby's words, "Yes, sweetie. Appa wants you to be independent. But you should ask for help if you need it. It's okay to ask for help. Is Jane nice to you?"

Sunghoon nodded as he dipped in the tub Jin had prepared. "She cooks food for Sunghoon. And shows a picture of you to me."

"My picture?"