26. Hold

It was that one time when I did not allow him to go out with his friends. Yet, he ignored my decision and still went. To the point that he brought our son with him without my knowledge.

Until now, I could not comprehend why he needed to drag our son just to be with his friends. It happened not just once or twice but a lot of times. Our child is ours so I was expecting that he would at least consider my decision but he always took that for granted.

I offered a nanny but he refused. He said he stopped working to be a full-time father and husband. I thought that would be the case. I admired him for that. But they were all empty words. It seemed he still hadn't outgrown his vice, which is partying with his friends and men I didn't know. It made me think that he gave more importance to his friend's company rather than his own family. But then I remembered, he loves attention.

He is a very jealous husband. He would nag me for gifting a business partner with jewelry. He knew whom he married. He knew that I am a very serious businessman. He knows how I gave importance to my partners and yet, he always gives bad colors to it. He often asked for money to give to his parents, and new clothes whenever he would go out with his friends. It sometimes came into my head that he only marry me for my wealth.

My turning point was when I discovered that our son is delayed. He still doesn't know the alphabet. I have documents to prove it. When I discovered that he went out with his friends with our son in tow even though our three-year-old son had a cough and cold, it was my turning point.

How can you possibly say that he is a responsible father when his friends always come first before his son's health and wellness? And he is now dating the billionaire, Jeon Jungkook. Seokjin loves rich men and the influence that comes along with it. Instead of proving that he is a responsible father, he, of course, thought of dating first.

All the things that Namjoon said to the judge just went ringing in Jin's ears. Namjoon did say a lot of strong accusations. From being a gold-digger to being an irresponsible father. From being a partygoer to fucking up their marriage to dating a billionaire. All of which wasn't true. He felt his world collapsing while Namjoon answered the judge's questions.

His lawyer assured him that Namjoon's statements were shallow and had no bearing. But Jin believed they were strong. Though everything that Namjoon said was lies, still, he didn't know how he could convince the court to believe him rather than Namjoon's statement.

"You can share it with me," Jungkook said as he sat beside Jin and gave him a cup of juice.

Jin just stared blankly at the lake in front of them. After the hearing, Jungkook brought him to a silent place to relax his mind. "I am so angry and embarrassed."

Jungkook rubbed his hand on Jin's back to encourage him to talk and release his frustrations. "I understand your anger but why are you embarrassed?"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Jeon." Jin's voice break as he tried to swallow the lump in his throat. Still, he couldn't cry.

"For?"

Jin looked at the cup in his hand. He was so shy to even look his boss in the eye.  "Namjoon shouldn't have included you in our issue. He must have misunderstood. I am really sorry. You have done so much for me and yet, you're now being dragged into our mess."

Jungkook smiled as he took Jin's hand and encased them with his. "I always think ahead whenever I enter into something. Whatever situation that is. I already expect that he will include me in his statement especially when we had some words at the mall. It was the pettiest thing he'd ever done. You should not apologize."

Jin smiled thinly, still, his eyes could not make a contact with the man beside him. "I don't know why you can remain calm despite what you had heard. What if the media catches Namjoon's statements? I'm scared it would damage your reputation."

"If I will worry, will it change what Namjoon said? Do you think my having a relationship with you would damage my reputation?" Jungkook asked in return. Jin could not respond. Instead of insisting, Jungkook tightened his hold around Jin's hand. "The media has been cruel to everyone. I've been through a lot of write-ups, some good ones. But most of them were bad. My father warned me about it when I handled his position. I was trained not to be numb by the bad media write-ups, but not to care. Choose what you should mind and what not to. So honestly, I don't care about what they will write. That's the last thing you should worry about. Caring about what others say. Especially when it comes from people who don't know you or from people with motives to ruin you. You know yourself more than anyone else. You have real friends who believe in you and who truly care for you. I would only listen to them rather than care about those who would judge me based on an article merely written to earn clicks."

Jin bit his lip and took a deep breath. How could this man be so kind, calm, and positive even after being dragged into a divorce and custody issue? "I admire you for being so positive despite everything. This isn't how I want to repay your kindness. I'm sorry if all I can bring to you are problems."

Jungkook chuckled as he teased Jin by gently poking Jin's cheek with his index finger. "I admire you for being strong despite everything."

Jin pouted, "That's not true. You know how weak I am. If I'm strong, I would have the same mindset as you."

"If you are weak then why are you fighting for your son's custody? If you are weak, you would have given up long ago. But despite being the underdog, you still push through. Despite being bullied by your ex-husband, you're still here standing and moving on. You've been saving up to get a lawyer so it means you have the will to fight. That's bravery, Jin. You may have negatively seen things right now but some people admire you for fighting the odds."

Jin unconsciously stared into Jungkook's eyes as Jungkook speaks. For the past months, he always kept everything inside. His feelings, his thoughts, his emotions. He always thought no one would understand him. He always has doubts and inhibitions. These were the reasons why he couldn't sleep well at night.

But Jungkook had his way with words. Jungkook had his way to make him feel good about himself. To remove all his doubts and face his fears. To trust himself and to look more to the brighter side. Jungkook made him speak his thoughts and be honest with them. Indeed, he'd always feel better whenever Jungkook was around. He felt safe and though he could not admit it yet, he felt strong. He felt valued. Something he'd never felt for a long time.

"Thank you for seeing me that way." Jin stared at their entangled hands. His smile and his voice were timid. "I hope I'm not scaring you. I know I am a failure but--"

"You are not a failure, Seokjin." Jungkook cut Jin off. That was exactly what Jin said when he was drunk. "I know why you're feeling that way but please keep in mind that whatever happened to your marriage, it's not entirely your fault. Do not beat yourself because of a failed marriage. I know it is easier said than done but a failed marriage doesn't define you, your capabilities, or your future. Everyone deserves to be happy and that includes you. You are a wonderful person. I know you're scared now and I cannot tell you not to but please know that whatever you're feeling right now, it will pass soon. It may be hard now but things do not always go our way, how we want them to go and how long those negative feelings would last. But things won't last that way either and look forward to that. There's always a silver lining to every cloud. You are loved, Seokjin. Always remember that."

Jin felt his chest being squeezed. He always felt isolated after his divorce. He was sure he didn't deserve to be loved. Though he was satisfied with Jimin's presence in his life, hearing good things from people other than his best friend boosted his sense of belonging. Especially from someone, he didn't expect to hear it from.

"How can you say that? I don't know how you can say those things to someone like me."

"I like you, Seokjin."

Jin's eyes slowly widened. Though Jimin already kept on convincing him that Jungkook likes him, hearing that from Jungkook left him in disbelief and it left him stuttering. "W-we're friends. Yes. Yes. Of course."

With his eyes fixed on Seokjin's own and his hands holding Jin's free hand, Jungkook reiterated. "I like you more than that."

•••

This should have been uploaded sooner but my schedule won't allow me to. Hope you're having a great day.