33. Alarm

With a cup of coffee in his hand and a grilled cheese sandwich in the other, Jin made his way on the lift to start another week-long work.

For the past few months, a lot had happened to the point that he could not keep up. At first, he thought the time was passing by slowly but thinking of the things happening in his life, he didn't notice that it had been almost a year.

His heart was aching as he hadn't seen his son for almost a year. He could not fathom the thought of his son possibly not recognizing him anymore. And the thought that he might be calling someone else his appa.

The sound of the elevator bell disrupted Jin from his lonely thoughts. He almost forgot that he was nervous about facing Jungkook after what occurred that weekend. He did not fail to glance at the faceless painting of the man in the hallway. Knowing it was him made him smile. At least, after all the heartaches, still, something good happened.

After putting down his bag on his chair, Jin made his way to Jungkook's office. He took a deep breath before knocking on the door. After hearing a faint 'come in' from the other side, he pushed the door open and saw Jungkook, eyes focused on his laptop while flipping a pen between his fingers. He also noticed that the one-way wall was turned off.

"Good morning." Jin greeted with a smile.

Without looking, Jungkook answered back, "Good morning."

Jin stood for a moment, waiting if Jungkook would at least look at him. Without getting a response, Jin placed the coffee and sandwich on Jungkook's desk.

He didn't know what happened as Jungkook seemed cold again. The same way he was being treated months back. Clearing his throat and restraining his emotions, "Mr. Jeon, I have an appointment with Attorney Lee at five. I would like to ask permission to leave at four?"

Jungkook finally shifted his gaze to Jin. Clenching his jaw, and as if someone forced him to smile, Jungkook nodded, "Alright. Just make sure to finish the report I asked you to prepare. Also, please call Eunwoo's assistant. We have a meeting at ten."

Jin held on to his stomach as if his heart were dropping. "These are noted, Mr. Jeon."

Jin turned his back with a lump in his throat. He leaned his back against the door. He wanted to cry but couldn't. Something he hated. He just held his throat while thinking if he did something that Jungkook didn't like. Or perhaps, Jungkook realized he wasn't worth his time.

Settling down on his chair, he promised never to glance at Jungkook's wall. He was glad he avoided saying something more to Jungkook that weekend.

Focus Jin. Focus.

Jin chanted in his head as he started working on the documents Jungkook asked him to prepare. Though his thoughts were all over the place, he tried his best to stay composed.

"How's the beauty right there? You're glowing." Jimin sat down on the chair in front of Jin's desk. The grin on Jimin's face said it all. He wanted to know something.

"We didn't have sex, Jimin. Why are you so interested in my sexual life? And it won't happen anytime soon or in the future."

Jin's voice was at the point of breaking, and it made Jimin confused. "Hey! What's wrong? I'm not saying you had sex with him. Is there something that happened? I mean..."

"I guess he finally realized I'm not worth it. Last weekend was fun, or so I thought. Today, he's starting to treat me coldly like before. So yes, I'm right. I'm not attractive. That's why Namjoon looked for someone else. I mean, look at Hoseok. He is fashionable. He is so confident in carrying himself. Why would I even hope that someone as dignified as Mr. Jeon would waste his time on a failed father and divorced man who looked ten years older than his age? I told you, no one will ever get interested in me."